View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I may be a littel bull headed on this, but if the umpire did a good game, there shouldn't be a reason to pull him, just because a coach doesn't like him. Now, since it seems like almost all the umpires are coaches in this league, it might be better to get some outside help from another source, for this round robin. Experienced help.

2 weeks ago, I ejected a coach and got pulled off the field because he was about to play the next game too. His own coaches told the TD I should have thrown him earlier. Parents from both teams said the same thing. My partner was in amazement the coach stayed in as long as he did. When I got pulled off the field, I started packing up my gear. The UIC told me that I was going to another field. No way. I'm going home. A UIC should not run from coaches or let them run him. The other 2 coaches on the team actually went and asked for me back on the field. After about a 45 minute discussion with the UIC, I stayed. Not on the field I started on, but I stayed. I got this guy later on, and he started pushing immediately. I was firm and fair. He finally started yelling at my score keeper, who was doing a good job. I then told him to get back into the coach's box and don't come to the plate again. He crossed his arms, stood there and stared at me. I just put my ole mask on my shoulder and walked up to him and informed him he had 5 seconds to get started towards the box, or he was gonna force me to do it again. Very calm, very quiet. He finally got started to the box. Got half way there and yelled at me again about the scorekeeper. Just as quietly, I went to the head coach and told him to get the guy off the field, he wasn't coachin' no more. No hassle, no argument. The head coach told me again, I should have done it earlier.

The reason for the story, is, if you let a coach dictate, he'll keep on dictating. This clown thought I was gonna back down, because he got me off the field once already. He just didn't realize the true amount of redneck that is in me. There is just too much fun to be had on the field to let a jerk like this ruin it for the girls, the parents and the fans. A coach shold be listened to, but not obeyed. If you're the UIC, do what you think is best for your games, the girls and the umpires.

Again, get some umpires with no conflict of interest. This will make a world of difference in the demeanor on the field. Even if they do call an impartial, fair and consistent game, it alleviates all chances of accusations from folks.