View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 27, 2004, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Palmer
While our team was playing defense there was a ball hit to left field (crushed out there I might add). However, as the runner was rounding 3rd on her way home, our teams relay throw by our shortstop hit the opposing teams coach in the back. I am not sure if he was in the coaches box or not. Thus stopping the ball, and allowing the opposing teams runner to score. The umpires claim that since he was in the caching box next to 3rd base he could hold that position, getting hit or not. As long as he didn't make an attempt to actually get in front of the ball.
This is one where you had to be there for a definitive answer. If the coach was in the coach's box and saw the throw coming at them and didn't move, it's interference. If they were watching the runner going home and had no idea where the ball was thrown, it's a no call. You've got to show some effort if you are aware of the presence of the defensive play being near you. If they are out of the coach's box and interferes with the throw, I'll probably call interference, depending on the exact situation.

Quote:
#2) In another game a runner from 3rd base rounding and going for home with a hit to center field, turned 3rd and actually entered the on deck batting circle on her run home. When our catcher her caught the incoming throw turned to tag the runner, she missed the tage as she tryied and apply it. Because at that time the baserunner actually came up almost behind her to touch home plate. Is there a base path the runner has to maintain ? The umpire told me that after the runner rounds 3rd she coud run along the fence (at least 25 feet from the basepath if she wanted as she comes home. Is this a true statement, or was I fed a bunch of crap.......
Yeah, the runner can set her own base path, as in this case, as long as she isn't avoiding a tag. No crap here.