View Single Post
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Click on http://www.dixie.org/Uploads/Dixie/N...ment_rules.asp

Or, go to http://www.dixie.org, click on baseball, click on rules and regulations. Right at the top is the link to the full rulebook - labelled 2004 Official Rules and Regulations.

Here is the full text of rule 8.05 regarding Balks. I love the repeated "reserved" throughout the book.

Note that this is not in the age-specific rules, and goes right up to age 18.

8.05—A balk occurs when—
(a) The pitcher, while touching the plate, makes any motion naturally associated with the pitch and fails to make such delivery;
(b) Reserved
(c) Reserved
(d) Reserved
(e) The pitcher makes an illegal pitch;
(f) The pitcher delivers the ball to the batter while not facing the batter;
(g) The pitcher makes any motion naturally associated with the pitch while not touching the pitcher’s plate;
(h) The pitcher unnecessarily delays the game;
(i) The pitcher, without having the ball, stands on or astride the pitcher’s plate or while off the plate feints a pitch;
(j) Reserved
(k) The pitcher, while touching the plate, accidentally or intentionally drops the ball;
(l) The pitcher, while giving an intentional base on balls, pitches when the catcher is not in the catcher’s box.
(m) Reserved
NO PENALTY: Any pitch or any action by the pitcher construed as a balk by the umpire shall be declared a no pitch. The ball is dead and no runner shall advance.
NOTE: Any action by the batter or any member of the offensive team, including the coaches, that, in the opinion of the umpire-in-chief, causes a pitcher to commit an illegal pitch or balk shall result in the pitch being declared a no pitch. The ball shall be dead and no runners shall advance.
Well, I'm sorry to hear this. It's a really, really dumb rule. Here's why:

With runners on first and second, the defense decides to walk the batter. The catcher stands up, holding his hand toward his right, and then jumps out of the catcher's box. The pitcher, not paying really close attention, sends the ball over the plate, and the batter hits a three-run homer. Oops, balk, and NO PITCH.

What if the pitcher, while off the rubber, pitches? That's a balk in baseball (I don't know what Dixie is). If the batter gets on base and everybody advances, the fact the pitcher delivered while not in contact with the rubber is ignored.

Not to mention the fact that one of the purposes of Youth Leagues is to prepare players for other venues.

Can't you just imagine the Dixie Youth graduate in his first year of JUCO. He balks, delivers, and watches the ball fly out of the park. "Well, thank God I balked," he'll say -- until the run goes up on the board.

Finally, any rule where the offense argues the defense DID NOT COMMIT AN INFRACTION is an awful rule.

Play: The Dixie Youth pitcher balks, delivers, and the batter homers. Now, the offensive skipper will rush out to the umpire:

"Hey," he will scream. "What's the matter with you? That pitcher didn't balk. You must be blind!"

The defensive skipper will rush out to say: "Oh, yes, he balked. He's been doing off and on all year. I'm sure glad some umpire finally caught him. What a great blue you are!"

Gag me for the pitching rule in Dixie Youth.

Thank God, there are no Leagues like that down here!