View Single Post
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by Jake80
DownTown

I understand what you are saying and I probably would have called the play that way until I read J/R which seems to clearly state that the play is not completed until some sort of attempt to voluntarily release or transfer the ball is made. I am wondering how many subscribe to the J/R interp and how many would just call the out in that situation.
On this point the J/R correctly refers to guidelines used for a fielder who takes a throw.

The latest J/R covers that on page 14. Your play -- changing out to safe because the fielder in control of the ball at the time he touched the base dropped it because of a legal collision. You'll see that the material on which you decided your ruling was correct [out to safe] is in red, which, according to Rick, means that the items: "are innovations that the authors believe to be unique or original [to their book]. In some cases they are words used to make certain concepts more clear. In other cases they are intepretations of plays or rules that have not yet been specifically addressed by the Major or Minor Leagues. ...[T]he words and interpreations ... are not to be considered those officially used on the fields of professional baseball."

A runner is out the instant he or a force base is tagged by a fielder in control of the ball before the fielder touches the base. There's no time frame involved.