View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 30, 2004, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
As usual, you have very valid points.

However, I do believe that U3 can get to the rundown between 1st and 2nd by the time the 2nd throw is completed and not cross any throwing lanes. U1 is already outside, U3 can take the inside part of the baseline. This way, tags on the outside and inside are covered. U1 may have to cover possibly the 1st 2 throw, but it is possible to get there to help U1. Granted, it's a terrible rundown if more than 3 throws happen, but with 2 Blues present, the coverage is better.

If the rundown is occurring between 1st and 2nd, Home Plate could be moseying on down to third. Odds are really good, if the rundown stops and the defense decides to make a play on the runner at 3rd, the defensive player, if really coached well, will run at the runner, to make her commit one way or the other. I understand the proritizing concept and I would never want to leave home uncovered. The HP is never going to run all the way to 3rd, or all the way back to home. They should still be 12-15 feet away from the call or they are too close to see the whole picture. This takes 30 feet away from the coverage area. If you figure the ump was only 1/2 way up the line, and until a play is evident this is where they should stay, the actual running distance should be about 15 feet to either 3rd or home. I feel a really good crew can handle it this way and never be out of position. If the play is made at 3rd, the U3 should be wandering back to that area, in case a rundown develops.