View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Found this on ChatGPT (artificial intelligence):

Under NFHS basketball rules, substitutes cannot enter the game before a disqualified player is replaced. Here’s the process:

Disqualification: When a player is disqualified (for example, due to five personal fouls), the coach is notified by the official.

15 Seconds for Replacement: The coach is given 15 seconds to replace the disqualified player. During this time, the substitute for the disqualified player must be ready to enter the game.

Substitution Process: Only after the disqualified player has been replaced can other substitutes enter the game, provided they have properly reported to the scorer's table.

In summary, no other substitutes can enter the game before the disqualified player is replaced. The disqualified player must be substituted first, after which the game may continue and other substitutions may be allowed.

I'm not foolish enough to believe everything that artificial intelligence tells me.

Anybody got a NFHS citation to confirm, or deny, this?
A couple of citations for you:

3-3-1c
NOTE: When a player is required by rule to be replaced prior to administering the free throw(s), then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game.

3.3.1 SITUATION E: B6 has properly reported to the scorer to enter the game. A1 is then fouled in the act of a three-point try. Prior to the first attempt, A1 is discovered to be bleeding: (a) B6 and A6, who is replacing bleeding A1, enter prior to the first free-throw attempt; (b) substitutes A7 and A8 report to the scorer's table after B6 and A6 enter the game; or (c) all substitutes in (a) and (b) enter the game when time-out is requested by B3. RULING: In (a), A6 must replace bleeding-player A1 before the free throw is administered, B6 may also enter because the player had legally reported to the table and another player had been directed to leave the game by the official. In (b), A7 and A8 must wait until prior to the last remaining free throw to enter the game. In (c), the time-out by B3 cannot be honored until the substitute for A1 has properly reported and entered. Once the time-out is granted, all substitutes may enter. A1 may remain in the game if Team A requests and is granted a time-out.

I also recall an NFHS play ruling stating to hold any incoming substitutes while waiting for a DQ’d player to be replaced and then bring them all in. I believe that was in the NFHS Interps and should be in the archive on this website.