Thread: Warning ???
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 08, 2021, 10:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Casebook Play Helpful To Confirm Earlier Rule Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Case Book 10.5.1 Situation A. Play: At halftime, as the teams, coaches and officials are making their way through a hallway to the dressing room, a Team A member inappropriately addresses one of the officials. Ruling: The official must decide if the offense is major. Under 4-48, if not deemed to be major and neither a warning nor technical has been charged (direct or indirect) to the head coach, the bench personnel could be issued a warning. If a warning is issued, this would be reported to both teams, recorded in the scorebook, and the head coach would not lose coaching-box privileges. If the offense was judged to be major or a warning or technical has already been issued to the head coach, a technical foul is charged to the team member and is also charged indirectly to the head coach resulting in the loss of coaching-box privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... didn't make sense to me (neither did Mike Goodwin's try at a helpful interpretation).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Mike did an excellent job of finding an applicable case play from which to draw our conclusion that the technical serves as a warning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This play ruling from the case book clarifies that once a technical foul has been issued to bench personnel no warning may thereafter be issued. The subsequent poor behavior is simply a technical foul ... a team does lose the privilege of a behavior warning to bench personnel once a technical foul has been issued.
I never meant to imply that Mike Goodwin's casebook play was not helpful in confirming a rule citation (4-48-2 "first violation") that I had already posted earlier (Post #9), but that it wasn't helpful in dealing with the probable mistake of IAABO wanting an additional "issued warning".

Sorry Mike Goodwin. Thanks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 08, 2021 at 11:00am.