View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 11, 2021, 09:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

High School Resumption Of Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... putting the ball on the floor when the offense is slow getting a thrower FED going to finally get with the times and allow more delay warnings for situations such as this rather than giving us only the option of the ROP procedure?
SC Official's recent thread was mostly about college rules and I didn't want to muck up his thread with a high school question so here's my separate thread.

After reading SC Official's thread, I decided to do some deep "dumpster diving" into the rulebook and casebook to get my mind clear regarding high school resumption of play procedures because I haven't given it much thought lately.

Regarding free throws, it is my belief that there are two different ways to address the situation of a player (shooter) not making one's self available for a free throw (in the semicircle).

If the free throw is after a timeout or intermission, we use the resumption of play procedure (ball on the floor, yada, yada, yada ...).

But if the free throw isn't after a timeout or intermission, and the player (shooter) does not make one's self available for a free throw, it's an immediate delay of game player technical foul (no (ball on the floor, no yada, yada, yada ...).

Now let's move on to a player not making one's self available for a throwin.

If the throwin is after a timeout or intermission, we use the resumption of play procedure (ball on the floor, yada, yada, yada ...).

If the delayed throwin is not after a timeout or intermission, do we still use the resumption of play procedure (ball on the floor, yada, yada, yada ...)?

4-38: The resumption-of-play procedure is used to prevent delay in putting the ball in play when a throw-in team does not make a thrower available or following a time-out or intermission (unless either team is not on the court to start the second half) as in 7-5-1 and 8-1-2. The procedure results in a violation instead of a technical foul for initial delay in specific situations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 11, 2021 at 09:25am.