View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 09, 2021, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Your definition of palming must be an IAABO or Connecticut thing, because I've never heard of traveling being interchangeable with palming.

Never in my time of playing or officiating basketball have I heard that dribbling, then putting the ball in the palm of your hand, then lifting and replanting your pivot is the same as palming the ball in between dribbles.

The palming signal has always been used to indicate a specific type of illegal dribble where a player has let the ball come to rest in between dribbles.

If a player is dribbling, then let's the ball come to rest, then illegally moves his pivot foot, then dribbles again, he has committed a travel before he has committed an illegal dribble. Just because in that situation it may be more convenient or easier to sell a palming signal than a traveling signal, doesn't mean that palming (an illegal dribble) and traveling are the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Both can be considered a carry. It is a 6 vs. half dozen thing. Both are correct, just as the former type of carry is also an illegal dribble.

The carry signal/violation was only added to allow more clear communication when it more clearly indicates the infraction that illegal dribble or travel might convey.