View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 23, 2020, 11:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Substitute Or Replacement Allowed ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
6-3-8 Note: During a jump ball, a jumper is not required to face his/her own basket, provided he/she is in the proper half of the center restraining circle.The jumper is also not required to jump and attempt to touch the tossed ball. However, if neither jumper touches the ball it should be tossed again with both jumpers being ordered to jump and try to touch the ball.
I don't believe that 6-3-8 Note applies to the four situations below.

Situation 5A: During the jump ball between A1 and B1 to start the first quarter, A1 and B1 both simultaneously tap the ball out of bounds. No substitutes report to the X in front of the table. Of the ten starters on the court, who is allowed to jump in the “re-jump”?

Situation 5B: Similar to Situation 5A to begin the game (jumpers simultaneously tap the ball out of bounds) but before the re-tossed jump ball, Team A coach wants to substitute A6 for jumper A1. A6 is waiting on the X in front of the table and is ready to be the new jumper. A1 is not injured nor is A1 bleeding.

Situation 6A: Following the jump ball between A1 and B1 to start the first quarter, the tapped ball is touched simultaneously by A2 and B2 and then the ball goes out of bounds. On the “re-jump” between new “designated jumpers” A2 and B2, jumpers A2 and B2 simultaneously tap the ball out of bounds. No substitutes report to the X in front of the table. Of the ten starters on the court, who is allowed to jump in the “re-re-jump”?

Situation 6B: Similar to Situation 6A to begin the game, but before the re-re-tossed jump ball, Team A coach wants to substitute A6 for A2. A6 is waiting on the X in front of the table and is ready to be the new jumper. A2 is not injured nor is A2 bleeding.

Based on this thread, I'm probably allowing a substitute or a replacement in Situations 5A, 5B, 6A. and 6B.

But does this (below) have any general implications in Situations 5A, 5B, 6A. and 6B (above)?

6.4.1 SITUATION C: Following the jump between A1 and B1 to start the first quarter, the jump ball: (b) is touched simultaneously by A2 and B2 and it then goes out of bounds; In (b) A2 and B2 will jump in the center restraining circle regardless of where the ball went out or where the held ball occurred.(4-12-1; 4-28-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There are designated jumpers in the rulebook only in situations where two players cause a held ball prior to possession being established for the purposes of setting the AP arrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I just realized that Raymond took two very specific casebook situations and came up with a pretty good general statement that should cover other situations. (However, one of those two specific casebook situations (nonjumpers simultaneous touch out of bounds) is technically not a held ball. Maybe Raymond can re-word his statement.)
Discussion?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 23, 2020 at 11:56am.