View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 04, 2020, 05:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Interrupted Dribble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Ref View Post
Suppose a player is dribbling into traffic and just as the ball is on the way up after hitting the floor(just before dribbler touches) a defender gets a hand in just enough to deflect the ball so that the dribbler catches the ball with both hands. The dribbler continues on and puts the ball right down starting a new dribble. Is this considered a double dribble? It sure looks like one. Would the hand touching be considered loss of control since the dribbler had to grab with two hands instead of the one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WI_Ref View Post
Illegal dribble it is! No sleep lost!
4-15-5: . An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after -
deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the
dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

So you decided that the dribble was not interrupted, even in a generic sense (which may have included a momentarily loss of player control), by the opponent's deflection.

So no loss of "control", even in a generic sense.

9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has
ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 A try for field goal.
ART. 2 A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by,
another player.

You were there, I wasn't, I could certainly live with your interpretation, but I might have ruled a legal play.

But hey, you probably get paid bigger bucks than me, I've been working middle school games (chronic injury) for the past two seasons.

Who am I to judge (apologies to Pope Francis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That's probably how most of us have officiated it, but it's not what the rule book says.
Sleep well my friend.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 04, 2020 at 06:25pm.