View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 01, 2019, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Full disclosure, I'm in no way associated with Patriot/Ivy. It's simply something I've heard from every one of those guys I worked with. I guess it was a gentlemen's agreement. I'd still call it a non-compete clause since you were barred from working other amateur athletic events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
It will have zero impact on the Patriot/Ivy or any college conferences.

No official who has any desire to advance and/or remain college basketball is going to challenge the legality of an assigner's policies to his face, and certainly is not going to bring a lawsuit. Career suicide.

There is no shortage of officials who will diligently adhere to assigners' rules and "non-compete agreements."
But assume (and I'm of the same mind, I don't expect anyone to ever try it), someone did try and unionize college refs. Could this case be used as precedence? And like someone else said, this avocation is full of dudes who will work for peanuts if it means they get games.

And we have a certain Mid-Atlantic guy that gets pissed if you work for a JuCo guy. We got a memo stating that if you couldn't open up dates from that one guy, just go ahead and quit. Real IC, there.