View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 10, 2019, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Thank you for the responses.

In answer to the question, "When should Lead rotate?", I've been accustomed to say, "When it is apparent that Center's side has become strong side." That, by my previous working definition of strong-side ("The side of the court with the on-ball competitive matchup and player population prompting Lead to rotate") always worked so well. But now, if I change to conform to one of the different definitions mentioned above, how shall I answer that question? What simple and succinct answer would you recommend to the question, "When should Lead rotate?"
(Not a trick question. I'm truly interested in changing...)
When it is clear to the Lead that the Center will be overloaded.

Officials can generally handle two match-ups, but three is too much. Just like the T doesn’t need help from the C in the backcourt when it is 2 on 2, but does once five players (or it is 3 on 3) are actively participating in the action in the backcourt. This is guideline that I use to tell me when a partner needs coverage help.

So a ball-handler with an on-ball defender would be one match-up (and the primary one), add two opposing players jockeying for position in the high or low post on the C’s side (or running a pick and roll) and that official has the maximum that he can handle. If another player now comes over to screen, set up for a shot, or to receive a pass on the wing, the Lead should be rotating.

I also agree with Camron. Go with the player or competitive match-up that indicates to you that the C’s side is now where the action is. Don’t wait. See that play develop and get into position to officiate it. Don’t leave your C overwhelmed and trying to cover everything going on over there by himself!