View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 01, 2019, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It took me a while to find time to read and reread this, but now. This applies to the OP, not to any added plays and tangents.

1) There is no interference by the BR in the OP video. She was past the fielder before the fielder began to move to her right.

2) As unlikely as I am to disagree with Big Slick, even with the Dick West ref., I still believe the out occurs at contact with the bat.

A batted ball can become many things, fair, foul, caught, not caught, in play, out of play, etc. All of those are determined by the force, angle and spin given the ball by the bat; including reacting to wind conditions, rocks on the field, slopes on the field and anything else present.

The fair/foul and other analogies above reinforce this view.

3) If there had actually been INT by the retired BR, R1 would be ruled out.
Please read the USA Softball clarifications, and you will see that you are incorrect in #2 (and I do appreciate the compliment, and that you liked my Law and Order reference).

Quote:
The question from this play always seems to be centered around when a batter is out on an infield fly. Since the definition of an infield fly states “A fair fly ball, not including a line drive or an attempted bunt, which can be caught by an infielder, pitcher or catcher with ordinary effort when first and second or first, second and third bases are occupied with less than two outs,” a batter is not out until the ball has been determined to be fair.
More so, the clarifications explicitly stated that if the BR interferes with a fielder trying to catch a fly ball, only the BR is out:

Quote:
Play: R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B with one out. B4 hits a fly ball to F3. The umpire declares infield fly if fair. B4 runs into F3 before F3 is able to catch the fair fly ball.

Ruling: The ball is dead and B4 is out on the infield fly. Runners return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. Rule 1 Definition Infield Fly, Rule 1 (D) Definition of a fair ball, Rule 8, Section 2J Rule 8, Section 2I.
Now, as for your #1 point, I also agree. In my judgement, and as the PU, I would not have interference. Therefore, I have R1 scoring and the game over.