View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 01, 2019, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
It took me a while to find time to read and reread this, but now. This applies to the OP, not to any added plays and tangents.

1) There is no interference by the BR in the OP video. She was past the fielder before the fielder began to move to her right.

2) As unlikely as I am to disagree with Big Slick, even with the Dick West ref., I still believe the out occurs at contact with the bat.

A batted ball can become many things, fair, foul, caught, not caught, in play, out of play, etc. All of those are determined by the force, angle and spin given the ball by the bat; including reacting to wind conditions, rocks on the field, slopes on the field and anything else present.

The fair/foul and other analogies above reinforce this view.

3) If there had actually been INT by the retired BR, R1 would be ruled out.
#1 It may be your opinion the BR did not INT. "In MY judgment, BR did INT." To each his/her own interpretation.
#2 I think we now have "clarifications" on this. The out occurs once the ball status is determined despite the force, angle and spin given the ball by the bat; including reacting to wind conditions, rocks on the field, slopes on the field and anything else present.
#3 I think this is flat out incorrect. You may be confusing this with a runner on third base who interferes with a fielder attempting to catch a batted fly ball. USA Softball & NFHS differ slightly on this one. If the ball is fair and uncaught, both have batter out along w/ interfering runner. If the ball is foul, USA Softball has both out but NFHS has only runner out and if ball is not caught, a strike on the batter (with less than 2 strikes).

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Mon Jul 01, 2019 at 09:56am.