View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 06:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Raymond, I have no call on the video in the OP, because I don't see any contact between defender and shooter, much less illegal contact. The defender was walking towards the shooter, but I see no contact from the C's or camera's angle. I'm passing on the play. I'm not raising up phantoms, but I will come for obvious misses (definite illegal contact unseen by partners).

In NCAA, no block charge play is 50/50, because of the restricted area arc, so my determination would be (in this order) in or out (of the arc), and then was the defender in a legal guarding position facing his opponent. If in [and no unnatural body positions/motion by the offensive player], then there is only one possible call (block). If out, then I would proceed to determine was the defender legal. Under NFHS rules, I'll determine if the defender was legal, and go with the result of that determination. I would make the exact same call in a 1-score game in the VHSL (MPSSAA or DCSAA) championship as I would in a 30-point blowout.

For the drive to the basket, I would have a foul in both scenarios if the contact was illegal, and no call if the contact was marginal or incidental. It's tough to explain this without video, though.
You think all block charge plays involve the restricted area in college basketball?

You think in real time at game speed all calls are cut and dry? You think officials never have to make an educated guess, even the best officials in the world?

If you ever come to a camp run by Tony Brothers and Leroy Richardson, I would love to hear the conversations you have with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk