View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2019, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Raymond, I have no call on the video in the OP, because I don't see any contact between defender and shooter, much less illegal contact. The defender was walking towards the shooter, but I see no contact from the C's or camera's angle. I'm passing on the play. I'm not raising up phantoms, but I will come for obvious misses (definite illegal contact unseen by partners).

In NCAA, no block charge play is 50/50, because of the restricted area arc, so my determination would be (in this order) in or out (of the arc), and then was the defender in a legal guarding position facing his opponent. If in [and no unnatural body positions/motion by the offensive player], then there is only one possible call (block). If out, then I would proceed to determine was the defender legal. Under NFHS rules, I'll determine if the defender was legal, and go with the result of that determination. I would make the exact same call in a 1-score game in the VHSL (MPSSAA or DCSAA) championship as I would in a 30-point blowout.

For the drive to the basket, I would have a foul in both scenarios if the contact was illegal, and no call if the contact was marginal or incidental. It's tough to explain this without video, though.
Good luck to you. Something about a horse and water...let me know where you are in say 10 years. I should be more patient...however, you lose me when you say there are no 50/50 calls...You need to learn that there are and not split hairs.... If you are In my crew one of first things I’m going to tell you...be aware of what we call. If I call a charge at one end and you have similar play....(0/50 or even 55-45.) call it same. I don’t expect you take bullet for me if I completely butcher it. Get it right.”
You saying there’s no 50/50 calls shows your lack of experience..You won’t move up nor should you with this view. Lot of things are black and white.Those are the easy things. Can you SEE and referee the GRAY areas...

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Jan 14, 2019 at 06:16pm.