View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 07, 2019, 03:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
My comments are on what the rules require, not on what you or I see in this video. People should not be making up their own rules.
I did not read that anyone was trying to have a deep rules conversation on when or how a dribble ends with one or two hands. I think people were judging that the dribble did not end until he grabbed the ball with both hands. That is not making up their own rules, that is seeing what happened in the video and saying that is what they are ruling.

There is no magic 3rd state of player control between dribbling and holding. When the dribble ends, holding begins...that is how the dribble ends, by rule. Unless you're saying the player lost control and there was a window in which you would not grant a timeout, you have only two choices: dribbling or holding. As such, if it reaches a point where you'd call another dribble a carry, you have, by rule, deemed the player to be holding the ball.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but no one is trying to split hairs other than you in this situation. And even you are saying you would not call this a travel. I have seen players without moving to try to catch a pass with one hand and not do it so cleanly. So it is possible that everyone is saying it is not clear that he stops his dribble until the ball is in both hands. And if there is a benefit of the doubt every given, that is my philosophy on this or many other kinds of plays. If it was clear he had possession with one hand, I have no issues going with that. But you are talking about a carry in the context of this play where it does not really apply. A carry is usually a move to hesitate or deceive in a way to make your defender think he/she is stopping their dribble. Not exactly the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Saying a player hasn't "gathered" is the equivalent of saying a player wasn't set or over-the-back. It is establishing requirements that are contrary to what the rules say.
I disagree, but again we are not going to agree on this like the other times. Nothing new to see here.

Peace