Thread: A Rat
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 07, 2018, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
We are a board of about 50 officials, the majority over 50, as I am, he was younger at 41. 10 years experience, The others that left were all around the same age and younger, they were not happy with their progress in the association, Personally I don't blame them but if they had been patient their time would have come.

I don't know how this is going turn out yet, but I do know that having to associations in a small area is not good. Not good for wages not good for assignments.

One of the people who left and is a college official, Ran for interpreter and lost to. Another ran for secretary and lost. So there's a lot of ego involved here.
Perhaps they feel that your association is too much of a "good ol' boys" network for them to reach their goals. After all, you say you don't blame them for not being happy and that they're relatively young–common complaints of disgruntled officials. And the reality is, "their time will come" simply isn't true all the time.

It is true that many officials that complain about politics have an overinflated opinion about their abilities. It is equally true that many officials cannot advance for no reason other than the good ol' boys system, and acting like that's not true is just disingenuous.

I am not saying I support them forming a new association; simply trying to interpret their frustration. And again, paying lip service about "sticking together" and officiating being a "brotherhood" is great except at the end of the day, this is a business.