View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
OK, I'm missing something. In the original post, Question 5 says the runner goes into the dugout.

Q5... If said runner goes out of play into dugout after crossing home, what is the ruling?

This is what I was basing the question I had on.

I agree the runner has done nothing illegal by advancing to a base she can't have. BUT if she or the coach realizes the mistake and "retreats" to 3rd base, I still think she's gotta retrace her steps, meaning she has to go through home. I agree with your statement if the umpire tells her to go back to 3rd. There is no reason to retrace the steps.

Here's a different scenario, but the same rule(s) should apply, I think. If a runner on 1st steals 2nd. The catcher overthrows the defense. The runner goes to 3rd, rounds it and is heading home when the coach tells her to go back to 2nd. She goes straight to 2nd and gets there safely. (Remember, this is 10-U.) The defense should be able to appeal the runner missing 3rd base, correct? This is the same at home. I'm sure I'll hear some debate on this and am looking forward to reading and maybe learning a little more.

Rick