View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
IUgrad92 is spot on. Do the teachers or other school personnel disengage the student or charge back at them?

Self-defense, in my mind, is an action needed to eliminate an immediate danger to one self. If a person (kid or adult) is over me and I'm in immediate danger, I will do whatever I need to do to get them off of me and get myself out of harms way. After that point, it is my job to remove myself and my teammates from the situation as fast as possible. If my partner is still engaged, of course I go to help. However, it also means that once we're clear of immediate danger, we run to our cars and leave the area as quickly as possible if necessary. This is standard operating procedure for other sports I've officiated, so I'm not quite sure why basketball would be any different.

If there are truly "no sane adults or other authority personnel" at the game, why would you be crazy enough to stick around and re-engage an attacker?
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
Self-defense, in my mind, is an action needed to eliminate an immediate danger to one self. If a person (kid or adult) is over me and I'm in immediate danger, I will do whatever I need to do to get them off of me and get myself out of harms way. After that point, it is my job to remove myself and my teammates from the situation as fast as possible. If my partner is still engaged, of course I go to help. However, it also means that once we're clear of immediate danger, we run to our cars and leave the area as quickly as possible if necessary. This is standard operating procedure for other sports I've officiated, so I'm not quite sure why basketball would be any different. If there are truly "no sane adults or other authority personnel" at the game, why would you be crazy enough to stick around and re-engage an attacker?
And, this.

Last edited by #olderthanilook; Thu Jul 12, 2018 at 08:01am.