View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2018, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Most of the time I work any AAU ball is at a college camp. And I used to go to this camp in Indiana where the talent was above average and every year there were about 3 or 4 coaches removed by police almost every year. At least we were empowered by the supervisor to actually T up coaches too. Now the people at this camp where often college officials with some exceptions and either on the staff of the camp director's leagues or worked college for someone else. Most officials were better than the average high school officials and the coaches still acted out. So even if they paid for 3-person for every game, they still would not get a lot of top officials to work those games just for the principle of the matter.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.

Coaches at these tournaments are prone to acting up regardless of the caliber of officiating. There's just no accountability more often than not; when you ask why, the answer is normally "They paid to be here." And the way we define a good official is often much different than the way these coaches would. Heck, just look at the Lavar Ball incident last summer–Division 1 officials on his court and that wasn't good enough for him. Very rarely are we dealing with real scholastic coaches (who more often than not are used to conducting themselves in a positive manner) in these settings.