Thread: Quiz question
View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NevadaRef:

Team A has the Ball for a Stopped-Clock Designated Spot Throw-in. A1 releases the Ball on a pass that crosses the Boundary Line at the Throw-in's Designated Spot. The Ball crosses another Boundary Line and goes Out-of-Bounds while never being touched by any other Player. Team A has committed a Throw-in Violation and by Rule, the Clock should not have started, but was started in error by the Timer. The Clock starting in error does not negate the Throw-in Violation by Team A. Penalize Team A for committing a Throw-in Violation by awarding Team B a Designated Spot Throw-in at the Spot of Team A's Throw-in and reset the Clock to 0.7 seconds.

The Ball becoming Dead when the Period ending Horn sounds only applies if the Clock was started correctly, and in the Play being discussed, the Clock should have never started.

MTD, Sr.
While I understand that the clock should not have started, I don't see in my rules book where the ball doesn't become dead because it started in error.
To expand the situation, if there had been 3 seconds on the clock and the timer incorrectly started it early, then a player caught the ball inbounds which was quickly followed by the horn, we have a Case Play from only a couple of years ago for handling that. The ball becomes dead and play is halted on the horn. The officials have to adjust the clock and award a POI throw-in.

How is this play any different? What is the POI when the horn incorrectly sounds?