View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Contradictory statement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The defensive exception doesn’t exist until player control inbounds has been established. It’s clear that that’s the way the FED expects this to be adjudicated.
I don't know where the idea comes from that there is not any offense or defense until the ball is controlled inbounds. in this years points of emphasis, the NFHS clearly seems to think that the team taking the ball in bounds is on offense, hence the other team B must be on defense:
From page 69 of the rule book: ...BY RULE EXCEPTION, during a throw-in a team may leave the front court, establish player control/team control while airborne and land in the backcourt. This is a legal play and ONLY applies to the first player of the offense who touches the ball PRIOR to the end of the throw-in.
It is my opinion that the NFHS has twisted this interpretation - and apparently did the same thing back in 2007, when the same play was interpreted. Interesting to note that this play was NOT in last year's case book...It would be interesting to see when it was removed.

As for Situation #6 - I also agree that the defense should always be allowed to intercept a pass and not be responsible from where he took off. BUT also agree that the current language only applies to a defender who leaves the floor from his frontcourt. the NFHS should fix this language as well.