View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 07:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
You misread my post. I did not say the defender knocked the ball out of the shooter's hands. He didn't. No additional angle necessary. Not in dispute. Shooter drops it of his own volition and without assistance.

BUT the defender IS the first to touch it after the drop, which negates it being a dribble. (That part could require a better angle, but Monk from UK touching it first is how I'm seeing it. And apparently the officials too ... unless they were just caught off guard by the goofy play, which happens to all of us). Not until the offensive player touches the ball again after the drop is this technically "a dribble."

And if that never happened, this is nothing, and perhaps the reason there was no whistle.

Until the offensive player recovers that ball, it's just a horrible "pass," or nothing.
Basically what he has done is start a dribble. You cannot move your pivot before starting a dribble. Whether the ball is touched is not necessarily relevant to this play if his intent was to start a dribble. The only issue that would have been relevant if during the jump the ball was knocked out of his hand. Now I am not so sure that took place here. And I was also referencing that this has taken place several times just this tournament where it was not properly called. Some of it might have been angle or the official might have not been sure if it was done on purpose and the defender dislodged the ball.

And even a "pass" can be illegal if you dribbled under the right circumstances. So be careful with that being the standard.

Peace