The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:02am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree here. I'd hardly describe what he did with his right foot as "picking it up and putting it back down."
Watch the video again, at the 16 second mark, the ball is in his hands and the right foot is on the floor. He then jumps off the right foot and lands on the right foot.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
SC/FL, 2nd half, 7:55, looks like illegal screen (feet too wide), typically not called?

I do not think this is illegal. I see no contact with the legs or enough where I would call a foul. I am not under the impression that simply setting a "wide" screen is a foul. The contact has to be with the part of the body that is wide from my understanding. At least that is how it is done in practice.

Quote:
SC/FL, 2nd half, 4:50, Throw-In Violation (Very close, nit-picky, I guess you don't want to be "That guy")

It looks like the ball is out of his hand before the foot comes down.

Quote:
UK/UNC, 2nd half, 1:22, definitely looked like a travel
This is the right play.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Mar 27, 2017 at 12:51pm.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Should have been a foul. The defender was way beyond vertical...his hands were even far enough out to actually make contact with the back of the shooter's head and also made contact with the shooter's arms while in that position.

I do not see a foul. I see contact with the ball mostly and a shooter trying to move his arms to release the ball. Good no call IMO. Not a good play by the shooter and we get to see this by slow-mo to see if there is any contact. Pass the ball.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
NCAAW: Miss. St. vs Baylor: 1:04 left in the game. MSU player trips over her own teammate, Dee Kantner calls a foul, then the officials discuss and change it to a travel.
Bump
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm no-calling that all day. Defender got caved in a little when shooter drove directly into his torso, naturally lowering his arms.
That might make sense if the arm contact happened after the torsos came together but the first contact was with the arms over the shooter....they were already lowered.

They called this a foul numerous other times and should have been here if the others were.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

What part of this did you think this was a travel?

Peace
The travel was in the UNC/UK game.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm sorry, I will correct this immediately.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Corrected it.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play that was immediately after a travel request.....

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Play that was immediately after a travel request.....

Peace
This seems like a "call the first foul" situation. And that would've been on the defender with a stiffarm into ballhandler's shoulder. Slo-mo replay begins too late and only captures the end of it, but you can see it out at the 28' mark when the drive begins.

And ... no, I wouldn't have called that first one. Dribbler got by it with little issue. Damn, this game is tough to officiate!

Last edited by ODog; Mon Mar 27, 2017 at 03:17pm.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 06:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Ball does get knocked away by defender ... once it hits the floor. And yes, that does matter. Sure, Jackson would have recovered it, thus making it a travel (dribble started with pivot foot off the floor), but Monk saved him from that by poking the ball away. Good patient whistle in no-calling this.

The dropping of the ball is nothing. It's what happens next.
I do not see the defender touching the ball. I see the NC player moving the ball on his own to avoid the defender. I think that is a travel. Again, the angle was not the best as the official's angle, but I have seen this play just in this tournament not called a violation, which actually surprises me as it is clearly a violation of the rules to jump up and then drop it when you think it will be blocked, which is a start of a dribble.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 07:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Should have been a foul. The defender was way beyond vertical...his hands were even far enough out to actually make contact with the back of the shooter's head and also made contact with the shooter's arms while in that position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanjj68 View Post
I agree. I think both defenders got him.
I have nothing on that play. Even though the Defenders arms were not vertical he did not come in contact with the shooter's arm. The defender started giving ground and the shooter kept on moving the ball back and forth.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 07:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This seems like a "call the first foul" situation. And that would've been on the defender with a stiffarm into ballhandler's shoulder. Slo-mo replay begins too late and only captures the end of it, but you can see it out at the 28' mark when the drive begins.

And ... no, I wouldn't have called that first one. Dribbler got by it with little issue. Damn, this game is tough to officiate!
The result of that play is why we need to call the first foul. I would have called that foul immediately and then dealt with the complaints afterwards.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2017, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not see the defender touching the ball. I see the NC player moving the ball on his own to avoid the defender. I think that is a travel. Again, the angle was not the best as the official's angle, but I have seen this play just in this tournament not called a violation, which actually surprises me as it is clearly a violation of the rules to jump up and then drop it when you think it will be blocked, which is a start of a dribble.
You misread my post. I did not say the defender knocked the ball out of the shooter's hands. He didn't. No additional angle necessary. Not in dispute. Shooter drops it of his own volition and without assistance.

BUT the defender IS the first to touch it after the drop, which negates it being a dribble. (That part could require a better angle, but Monk from UK touching it first is how I'm seeing it. And apparently the officials too ... unless they were just caught off guard by the goofy play, which happens to all of us). Not until the offensive player touches the ball again after the drop is this technically "a dribble."

And if that never happened, this is nothing, and perhaps the reason there was no whistle.

Until the offensive player recovers that ball, it's just a horrible "pass," or nothing.

Last edited by ODog; Mon Mar 27, 2017 at 08:49pm.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2017, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You misread my post. I did not say the defender knocked the ball out of the shooter's hands. He didn't. No additional angle necessary. Not in dispute. Shooter drops it of his own volition and without assistance.

BUT the defender IS the first to touch it after the drop, which negates it being a dribble. (That part could require a better angle, but Monk from UK touching it first is how I'm seeing it. And apparently the officials too ... unless they were just caught off guard by the goofy play, which happens to all of us). Not until the offensive player touches the ball again after the drop is this technically "a dribble."

And if that never happened, this is nothing, and perhaps the reason there was no whistle.

Until the offensive player recovers that ball, it's just a horrible "pass," or nothing.
A. You are incorrect, by rule, as to what constitutes a dribble.
B. John Higgins clearly indicates a defensive deflection prior to that point in the play.