The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Question Emporer of Umpire Empire Empirically Incorrect ?

http://www.umpire-empire.com/index.p...p2_articleid=4

Good luck on your venture.

The above is, at least to me, disconcerting specifically the comment:

"The first question out of peoples mouths when I discuss umpiring is usually something to the effect of, ‘Are you paid for that?’ Despite the term amateur, we are paid; and it’s a pretty nice side income. Amateur refers to the level of ball we are calling. But please don’t expect to quit your day job. If you think you will umpire solely for the money, DON’T. Please go away leave our sport and get a part-time job at Wal-Mart. They hire anybody, the work is year round and they don’t seem to care that their employees don’t care about their jobs."

Maybe I missed the humor, if so, apologies are in effect. If not, ??
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm game.

Whats your problem with the quote? The reference to Wal-Mart????
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, Thanks for visiting my site.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

I could see potenial for an issue, if this were the entire quote. Just like in the newspapers, you have to be carfeful about what you say, because they will quote you directly and print the parts they want to. This looks like a contraversy - without the next sentence. The entire comment makes sense. This quote is accurate, but out of context. That's the only problem I see with it.

I've heard several people say that you shouldn't do it for the $$ b/c you do the game and the participants an injustice if that's your only motivation for being out there. This is nothing new - it's just not sugar coated.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
I'm game.

Whats your problem with the quote? The reference to Wal-Mart????
In part, Yes, the reference to Wal-mart which could have been an attempt at humor that I failed to register.

The part I find untruthful is that umpires, the majority, DO officiate for the money. I would refer you to several discussions in the archives in 2007 about this matter. If you would prefer, I will summarize them in a paragraph or two.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
BTW, Thanks for visiting my site.
Sure, I hope you perform well with it. I am in the business of officiating and believe that good businesses in our line of work are hard to find. Success should be beneficial for all of us.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
I could see potenial for an issue, if this were the entire quote. Just like in the newspapers, you have to be carfeful about what you say, because they will quote you directly and print the parts they want to. This looks like a contraversy - without the next sentence. The entire comment makes sense. This quote is accurate, but out of context. That's the only problem I see with it.
There was a time when people who were employed at Wal-Mart were the best among their community. In small towns, the manager of Wal-Mart was one of the most important citizens there.

Quote:
I've heard several people say that you shouldn't do it for the $$ b/c you do the game and the participants an injustice if that's your only motivation for being out there. This is nothing new - it's just not sugar coated.
I support that people who umpire, including many of those on the forum who claim otherwise, do so because the money is necessary to them.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
There was a time when people who were employed at Wal-Mart were the best among their community. In small towns, the manager of Wal-Mart was one of the most important citizens there.
There was I time when you could buy a new car for $2000 and fill it up with gas for $2.00. This ain't a fairy tale. He's not talking about "once upon a time."

You used to be able to return things to Walmart, no questions asked. Now you get the third degree and I know of several times when they refused the return (on a NEW product WITH a receipt) and they hire anyone who can run a register. Not all Walmart employees are bad people. But to say they all are the pillar of the community is not saying much for the community.

This was not meant to insult Walmart employees. He could have said McDonald's, Burger King, K-Mart...The point is that you don't have to give a damn about WalMart to work there. That's why you need the next sentence in the quote - He said basically -WalMart employees don't have to care about Walmart but umpires should care about baseball.

What's so freaking hard about that?

Quote:
I support that people who umpire, including many of those on the forum who claim otherwise, do so because the money is necessary to them.
There is a difference in doing it FOR the money and doing it because you love the game, etc. Getting paid is a bonus. Yes, the money helps. And yes I'll do a $50 game before I do a $35 game. But I'm not on the field for the money. I'm on the field because I want to be on the field and b/c I love baseball. The money being "necessary" and officiating for the money are too different concepts.

Not that I expect you to grasp the difference.

If you just need the money, you can go work at WalMart part time. Most of us CHOOSE to umpire baseball for reasons OTHER THAN the money.

Last edited by ManInBlue; Sun Feb 03, 2008 at 03:29pm.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever I hear a guy tell me that he doesn't umpire for the money I go to the assigner or tournament director and tell him to give that guy's game fees to me.

I do umpire in part to stay in contact with the game I grew up with and love. In part because I know that every kid I see on the field is a kid I will not hear about in the news shooting up a neighborhood or school, and because the exercise I get keeps me from becoming Jabba the Hut and is much more fun than killing my knees on the sidewalks around the neighborhood.

But the primary reason I umpire is the money. It is a source of income for me and I will freely admit it to anyone who asks.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was I time when you could buy a new car for $2000 and fill it up with gas for $2.00. This ain't a fairy tale. He's not talking about "once upon a time."
My comment was a reflection not a statement of the times. Well, I suppose it was considering that I would accept that Wal=Mart then and now are two different service organizations.

Quote:
This was not meant to insult Walmart employees. He could have said McDonald's, Burger King, K-Mart...
But he did not. How do you know what the intention was of the Wal-Mart comment? I don't.

Quote:
The point is that you don't have to give a damn about WalMart to work there. That's why you need the next sentence in the quote - He said basically -WalMart employees don't have to care about Walmart but umpires should care about baseball.

What's so freaking hard about that?
Nothing, why do you suppose I would insist otherwise? Might I suggest that you polish off your paranormal powers, the ones you used to see into the mind of the Author of the OP, and look clearly into mine.

Quote:
There is a difference in doing it FOR the money and doing it because you love the game, etc. Getting paid is a bonus. Yes, the money helps. And yes I'll do a $50 game before I do a $35 game.
Do you love the money or the level of play? if the level of play, then you would have been more accurate to state, "I will do a HS game before an 11yo game" or some such.

Quote:
But I'm not on the field for the money. I'm on the field because I want to be on the field and b/c I love baseball. The money being "necessary" and officiating for the money are too different concepts.

Not that I expect you to grasp the difference.
I take no pay, I grasp it firmly.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
Whenever I hear a guy tell me that he doesn't umpire for the money I go to the assigner or tournament director and tell him to give that guy's game fees to me.

I do umpire in part to stay in contact with the game I grew up with and love. In part because I know that every kid I see on the field is a kid I will not hear about in the news shooting up a neighborhood or school, and because the exercise I get keeps me from becoming Jabba the Hut and is much more fun than killing my knees on the sidewalks around the neighborhood.

But the primary reason I umpire is the money. It is a source of income for me and I will freely admit it to anyone who asks.
A fresh breeze enters the room.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm

OK, I'll ask. Why do you umipre? Why not work at McDonald's, or JcPenny? If it is indeed the income you desire, why not work somewhere that you can "perform" all year (rather than seasonally) and where you can probably get more money?

I think I know why. Because you would rather umpire. So it's not so much the money you want. Although, you wouldn't do it for free. You prefer to be on the field with something you enjoy rather than flipping burgers. The fact that you get paid to do this is a tremendous motivator. But you could do something else -if indeed money was your #1 factor in the decision.

I contest that you do not umpire "for the money" I would say that you, like most, want (or need) extra income and you CHOSE to get that money on the baseball field. You chose to do something you grew up with, something you love. But indeed you could get the money from some other source.

Quote:
Do you love the money or the level of play? if the level of play, then you would have been more accurate to state, "I will do a HS game before an 11yo game" or some such.
Both actually. I would take a HS game over an 11 yo game. I also would take the extra $15 regardless of level. If you were going to pay me the same for both -I'm taking the higher level. If I have a choice of the same level and more pay -I'm taking the pay. But either way, I'm going to be on the field and money has not gotten me out there. Money may have gotten me to a different field, a different contest -but I'm going to umpire anyway.

Quote:
How do you know what the intention was of the Wal-Mart comment?
Because I read the ENTIRE statement. I didn't stop where your quote did. It seemed pretty clear what the intent was.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, I'll ask. Why do you umipre? Why not work at McDonald's, or JcPenny? If it is indeed the income you desire, why not work somewhere that you can "perform" all year (rather than seasonally) and where you can probably get more money?
I answered the pay issue.

Why I umpire is for the physical nature of the work, I enjoy it and am very accomplished at it, I umpire with a small crew who are close freinds and family, for business purposes, I love the game and especially enjoy the adult semi-pro ball play, it is an offer to the communities I umpire in, several more reasons.

Quote:
I think I know why. Because you would rather umpire. So it's not so much the money you want. Although, you wouldn't do it for free. You prefer to be on the field with something you enjoy rather than flipping burgers. The fact that you get paid to do this is a tremendous motivator. But you could do something else -if indeed money was your #1 factor in the decision.
Asked and answered, your paranormal powers didn't quite get to the bottom of my post.

Quote:
I contest that you do not umpire "for the money" I would say that you, like most, want (or need) extra income and you CHOSE to get that money on the baseball field. You chose to do something you grew up with, something you love. But indeed you could get the money from some other source.
Incorrect.
Quote:
Because I read the ENTIRE statement. I didn't stop where your quote did. It seemed pretty clear what the intent was.
"Pretty clear" is not "knowing" the mind of the OP.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

The only time I donate my time umpiring is for a charitable cause. I'd never be a volunteer LL Umpire. I spend too much money on equipment, travel, meetings etc. I've worked to hard on rules, mechanics etc. too give it away for free. I officiate (I'm multi sport) because it's fun (most of the time) and challenging managing a game it such a way that you're not noticed.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
The only time I donate my time umpiring is for a charitable cause. I'd never be a volunteer LL Umpire. I spend too much money on equipment, travel, meetings etc. I've worked too hard on rules, mechanics etc. to give it away for free. I officiate (I'm multi sport) because it's fun (most of the time) and challenging managing a game it such a way that you're not noticed.
LL where I originated from was a joke, the LL umpires were paid and paid above the average. The local organization who booked the leagues were realists as were the LL officers who ran it. LL looked the other way.

As they did, the LL org morphed into East Cobb baseball, which may be the largest amateur, for-profit baseball organization in the South.