Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
(As you can guess, since he commented on my jump ball administration, I was the R in question!)

Well, not anymore under NCAA rules. (I liked R required to toss - it made it easier for me as scorekeeper to know who the R was.) During his camp, J.B. wouldn't stop telling us about how stupid he thought that requirement was . . .
Well, we were playing by Fed rules
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Final Report

Thanks to everybody for the info on putting time back on the clock. Good stuff to know.

Well, camp is now done, so this is my final report. I did 3 games yesterday. Unfortunately, each one was at a different game site. First game at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex. Then a 35 minute drive to a "local" high school. Then another 40 minute drive to a rathole of a facility. We had to dress in a coach's "office", with no AC, no fan, no shower. But there were plenty of mosquitos, b/c you had to go outside to get dressed. But moving on. . .

Game 1: Observed by Violet Palmer. The game was lopsided, but both teams were energetic and were fairly talented. The winning team just had too much height advantage. They ran us pretty hard. Violet told me that my signals are still too fast, but liked my positioning and movement at the C position.

Violet is absolutely wonderful. She is very calming and reassuring, even while being critical. She was very positive toward us. At halftime, we met together and she was quiet for a moment before she started her comments. I'm thinking, "uh-oh". Then she said, very slowly, "Verrrry nice," looking at each one of us as she said it.

I asked her the question about how the Lead should cover long rebounds or 3-point tries on his/her side of the court (that's for NBA coverage only). I asked if the Lead should "open up", that is make the shoulders parallel to the endline. She said NO. Keep the 45 degree angle but step backwards toward the near sideline.

Without doing too much more gushing, it was a real pleasure to meet her and work with her, however briefly.

Game 2: Observed by Jim Clark

This was a ragged game with lots of pressing, lots of hands, lots of wild drives to the basket, lots of intensity. Our officiating was also pretty ragged in the first half. We left the court at halftime feeling really lousy. It seemed like we were letting the players dictate the game and we weren't adjusting. We were all upset with ourselves.

Jim came in the dressing room and told us, "That was not a good half. But it wasn't as bad as you all think it was." We talked about the situations that had bothered us, and the general tone of the game. As a crew, we said "Screw the tone they want. Let's work harder and set the tone that we want." So I think we worked very hard in the second half. We had 4 or 5 offensive fouls in the first 4 minutes or so. The players adjusted. We weren't perfect, by any stretch, but we all finished the game feeling that we had done 100% better than in the first half.

This was a good contrast to my earlier game where the crew never did mesh and the entire game suffered. This time, we were able to re-focus and work together and get the game back. I was actually pretty proud of our crew after the second half.

Game 3: Observed by TV, himself; Teddy Valentine.

10 pm game in a frickin' PIT of a gym. Best game of the day, tho. It was close the whole way, ended up being about an 8 point difference. We felt in control the whole way. The calls were quality, we jumped on some early trash-talking (I got to whack the kid ), and the players again responded by playing pretty good ball. I had a couple GT calls.

Teddy gave us some good comments on presentation. He also gave me some good ideas on how to deal with a coach that was complaining about a continuation play that I called. Teddy said, "Don't listen to that. Tell him, 'Foot, hand, arm movement, Coach. Only takes one to start the shot'." I kinda liked that one.

After the game, he said that the last 3 crews of the night were the best of the day. "So if I were assigning the Final Four, y'all would be movin' on to the next round". That was a good feeling.

After the game, there was a pizza and drinks social back at the hotel. I didn't actually get home till 1:30 am. Of course, I still had to be up for a 7:45 meeting this morning. I'm still yawning. . .

The meeting this morning was a lecture from coach Brendon Surr (sp?), former assistant to Chuck Daly on the Detroit Pistons Bad Boy championship teams. He gave a wonderful talk on the official's role as coach during the game. It was a great perspective. He was overwhelmingly positive. Sometimes, your partner is having an off night and you have to coach him thru it. How do you do that without embarrassing him/her, or without hurting his/her feelings? How do you help a coach to back "from the ledge"? He seemed like a great guy.

Only one game today, at 1 pm. Violet Palmer was again "observing". But she told us, "I'm not critiquing today. You guys know what we've been telling you. Critique yourselves. I'm just here to watch a good game. Go have some fun." See? She's awesome.

Game was very competitive, close the whole way. I had a couple moving screens, a PC when the dribbler swatted away the defender's hand. Again, the crew worked together very well. The quality of the campers here was very high, I think.

At halftime, we went over to sit with V. She couldn't help making a few comments, but they were all positive. My favorite was: "Watching the improvement in you guys over the last two days makes me feel like the proud mama watching her little ones go out and do good."

Anyway, there was little else of note in the game. It was fast, above the rim, and I felt like our crew nailed it.

The camp was fantastic, thanks for letting me share.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jul 29th, 2003 at 10:01 PM]
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
It emphasizes NBA philosophies and mechanics, but is a great learing experience for any level of ball.
I don't know, Chuck, how much NBA philosophy will I be applying in my 7th grade girls games next March? I think I'm still a year or two away from using a lot of this stuff...
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, near sideline. Duh. My bad. I'm going back to fix it now.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
how much NBA philosophy will I be applying in my 7th grade girls games next March? I think I'm still a year or two away from using a lot of this stuff...
Probably not a lot. But you'll be doing some Varsity HS, too, and I think some of what we did this week will be a help to me in my HS games.

1) Patient whistles.
2) Deliberate signals.
5) (Three, Sire!! Three!!)
3) What has to be called?
4) Crew dynamics.
5) Game awareness.
6) Play selectivity.
7) SBQ.

These aren't exclusive to NBA games. But hearing a different and more directed perspective on these was terrific.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jul 29th, 2003 at 10:43 PM]
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
[B]
Quote:
how much NBA philosophy will I be applying in my 7th grade girls games next March? I think I'm still a year or two away from using a lot of this stuff...

Probably not a lot. But you'll be doing some Varsity HS, too, and I think some of what we did this week will be a help to me in my HS games.

1) Patient whistles.
2) Deliberate signals.
4) Crew dynamics.
5) Game awareness.
6) Play selectivity.
7) SBQ.

These aren't exclusive to NBA games. But hearing a different and more directed perspective on these was terrific.
You're right, of course. I was just pointing to your statement about ANY level.

I had to go change my clothes after i read your thing about Violet Palmer, becuase the shirt I had on clashed with the bright green color of my face, I'm so envious. Sounds fantastic.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

1) Patient whistles.
2) Deliberate signals.
4) Crew dynamics.
5) Game awareness.
6) Play selectivity.
7) SBQ.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Jul 29th, 2003 at 10:43 PM]
What does #5 (the first one) mean Chuck? (Three, Sire...) What did they have to say about that?
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
1) Patient whistles.
2) Deliberate signals.
4) Crew dynamics.
5) Game awareness.
6) Play selectivity.
7) SBQ.
You're right, of course. I was just pointing to your statement about ANY level. [/b]
You know, as I thought about this last night, I think most of those things really are applicable in our JV, junior high, and middle school games. Good table communication (deliberate signals), crew dynamics, game awareness, and especially play selectivity are all crucial in those games where anything might happen. You simply can't call every little infraction. So I think I'll stick with my original statement about a great learning experience for any level.

Quote:
I had to go change my clothes after i read your thing about Violet Palmer, becuase the shirt I had on clashed with the bright green color of my face, I'm so envious. Sounds fantastic.
Did I mention that she was wonderful?
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
What does #5 (the first one) mean Chuck? (Three, Sire...) What did they have to say about that?
Sigh. Oh, Dev, you have so much to learn. Kids today don't take the time to learn even the most basic facts about world history.

That is, of course, a reference to King Arthur's legendary difficulties with math, as captured in the erudite and entirely thorough documentary entitled "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Final Report

Quote:
But there were plenty of mosquitos, b/c you had to go outside to get dressed. But moving on. . .

Pictures at 11 . . . . .

Quote:

Violet told me that my signals are still too fast, but liked my positioning and movement at the C position.

Chuck --- I'm starting to wonder about this. I know my reporting is a bit fast (I can feel it, somehow), but everyone down south makes it sound like I'm going 75 in a 15 zone. Has anyone up north made similar comments?
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Nobody made it sound quite that bad, but I think almost everybody has a tendency to rush their reporting. I don't know why. The last couple days of camp, I just tried to find a smooth rhythm to my reporting to keep me at a steady pace. I think it's not a HUGE deal, but it's a matter of presentation. The better, smoother the presentation, the more convincing it is. I guess.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nobody made it sound quite that bad, but I think almost everybody has a tendency to rush their reporting. I don't know why. The last couple days of camp, I just tried to find a smooth rhythm to my reporting to keep me at a steady pace. I think it's not a HUGE deal, but it's a matter of presentation. The better, smoother the presentation, the more convincing it is. I guess.
Not that I'm any good at this slowing down thing, but, I think, it also sends a very clear message that you are in charge and in control of yourself and the game. You come across as unhurried and unaffected by what just happened. Now I just wish I could figure out how to slow myself down I tend to come across as frantic and a little frazzled because I hurry too fast.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 09:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I tend to come across as frantic and a little frazzled because I hurry too fast.
So that's my problem - I hurry too slow!
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I tend to come across as frantic and a little frazzled because I hurry too fast.
So that's my problem - I hurry too slow!
Hurrying slow would be an improvement
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The tap was stolen and neither of partners called it. I thought it was stolen, but didn't have the best look from right underneath, plus I didn't have the whistle in my mouth.

So after the game, J.B. comes in and says, "The tap was stolen. They should've blown it dead, but I put the responsibility for that on you." He then gave me some good tips for keeping the jumpers from getting a quick read on the toss.
Thanks Chuck. I also learned about this play the hard way last week. In one of my LV games I was the U1 and the tap was stolen. I recognized that it was, but thought it was not a big deal and let it go. Unfortunately, A1 stole the tap, A2 caught it and fired a quick pass to A3 for a lay-up. The ball was in the basket in about 2 seconds.
The game was really well played and finished 83-81 in favor of the team wearing red. We only called about 10 total fouls in the entire game. I left the court feeling great and thinking what a wonderful job we did. We got over to our rest area and were sipping some drinks when my good friend who was the R for the game said to me, "I only had one problem with that game. You let Red steal the tap."
Talk about crushed. I felt about two inches tall. I had completely forgotten about the tap play. Now I recalled it with perfect clarity.
My buddy had politely and correctly let me know that I had made a critical error before even a second was off the clock. He said that he would have called it back himself, but he always tosses with his whistle out of his mouth and by the time he found it the ball was already in the basket. He was depending on me, and I let him down. While I probably didn't cost White that game, I at least gave Red an unfair 2 point advantage, the winning margin as it turned out. So much for feeling good about that game. It won't happen again.
PS I really wanted to hear J.B.'s take on that late whistle. Hopefully, you were able to ask him or have some contact info for him.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Jul 31st, 2003 at 02:03 AM]