Thread: Hey Chuck...
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 31, 2003, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

The tap was stolen and neither of partners called it. I thought it was stolen, but didn't have the best look from right underneath, plus I didn't have the whistle in my mouth.

So after the game, J.B. comes in and says, "The tap was stolen. They should've blown it dead, but I put the responsibility for that on you." He then gave me some good tips for keeping the jumpers from getting a quick read on the toss.
Thanks Chuck. I also learned about this play the hard way last week. In one of my LV games I was the U1 and the tap was stolen. I recognized that it was, but thought it was not a big deal and let it go. Unfortunately, A1 stole the tap, A2 caught it and fired a quick pass to A3 for a lay-up. The ball was in the basket in about 2 seconds.
The game was really well played and finished 83-81 in favor of the team wearing red. We only called about 10 total fouls in the entire game. I left the court feeling great and thinking what a wonderful job we did. We got over to our rest area and were sipping some drinks when my good friend who was the R for the game said to me, "I only had one problem with that game. You let Red steal the tap."
Talk about crushed. I felt about two inches tall. I had completely forgotten about the tap play. Now I recalled it with perfect clarity.
My buddy had politely and correctly let me know that I had made a critical error before even a second was off the clock. He said that he would have called it back himself, but he always tosses with his whistle out of his mouth and by the time he found it the ball was already in the basket. He was depending on me, and I let him down. While I probably didn't cost White that game, I at least gave Red an unfair 2 point advantage, the winning margin as it turned out. So much for feeling good about that game. It won't happen again.
PS I really wanted to hear J.B.'s take on that late whistle. Hopefully, you were able to ask him or have some contact info for him.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Jul 31st, 2003 at 02:03 AM]