The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 02, 2014, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This does not look like a college game. It looks like much younger players.
It's Div. 3. NYU @ Case Western Reserve.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Aug 02, 2014, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaug22 View Post
In NCAA Women the Trail would have the best look at this play and should be concentrating in the post since the Lead as assumed primary responsibility for the action outside the three point line. When the Lead position adjusts to take the play he turns his back to the lane and cannot see anything but those players in the corner. If you watch his head it is following the ball in to the post play and has to physically turn his body just to see the play. I would argue that the Trail's new primary is in the post on the strong side of the floor and the Lead should allow Trail first crack. CCA Manual for the Women's side actually gives this responsibility to the Trail when the Lead has a competitive matchup near the three point line.

Oh and this is a close play, but I'd have gone with offensive foul on this one.
Given the way the play - and positioning - unfolded, I'd agree. Once the ball went into the corner and it was obvious the L was looking at that matchup the T could have moved his eyes to the paint. It's still T's secondary but there wasn't much going on his primary so we're told to anticipate the next action area, which would have been the lane. My guess is L blew because there was contact in his primary and there obviously had to be some kind of call even if he wasn't sure. I'm thinking if he waits a beat the T grabs that one. The C would be the emergency whistle.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2014, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
It's Div. 3. NYU @ Case Western Reserve.
Never doubted, just did not look like players that old.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 02, 2014, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

poor positioning

I'm chalking this up to poor positioning by the L from the onset. If I could ask him one question, it would be:

"Why, in transition, with the entire break clearly outside of the lane on the strong side, are you making your 'destination' the lane line extended?"

There is no need for a lead to try and cut the corner to get to the lane...ESPECIALLY since all of the action in this sequence was on the strong side.

If I'm the lead, I'm taking that little dump pass in and putting a whistle on it as my primary; and quite frankly, I like the block (although it's not an RA play).
Old Sun Aug 03, 2014, 08:11pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
1. The L is at close down as the play comes into frontcourt on his side. Also, his shoulders are parallel to the end line. I heard more than a few times: If the ball is coming down the L's "lane" - between the sideline and FTLE on their side - go to a point between wide angle and close down to work outside in. Also, keep your shoulders at a 45-degree angle to the end line.

2. The L's body is facing the wrong way, meaning he won't be able to see into the lane (which is where the BH/dribbler is going) without turning his head and body all the way around. This leads to...

3. I froze the video at the point where it appears the defender had both feet on the floor with her torso facing the new BH/dribbler. I'm not sure whether the call was correct because I can't see the defender's heels but in relation to the RA but I feel it should have been a PC. Regardless, I think the L was guessing on whether the defender obtained LGP...and it all goes back to point #1.

Yes, I now realize/remember it wouldn't be an RA play due to the offensive player beginning her move in the LDB...my mistake. See below.

D. Williamson spoke to us in DC about not being "sucked into the paint" as the L. She joked that she's going to call every school and ask them to check for a black hole next to the lane that draws in all of us. I know I'm going to try to be more conscious in 3-person games but also in my HS/2-person games.
I will tell you that I've learned from my assignor (and at camps this summer) that we need to start at wide angle position and work our way in when the ball is strong side coming up the floor. The only time we should set up at close down is when the ball is coming up the floor on the weak side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
During the entire sequence of the ball going down into the corner followed by a drive along the end line to the RA, what are primary coverage responsibilities of the Lead and Trail for this play on the Women's side?
This is clearly in the L's primary. Below the FTLE is all lead. I agree with JetMet in that the L on this play did not position themselves correctly in order to properly officiate their entire primary area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahaug22 View Post
In NCAA Women the Trail would have the best look at this play and should be concentrating in the post since the Lead as assumed primary responsibility for the action outside the three point line. When the Lead position adjusts to take the play he turns his back to the lane and cannot see anything but those players in the corner. If you watch his head it is following the ball in to the post play and has to physically turn his body just to see the play. I would argue that the Trail's new primary is in the post on the strong side of the floor and the Lead should allow Trail first crack. CCA Manual for the Women's side actually gives this responsibility to the Trail when the Lead has a competitive matchup near the three point line.

Oh and this is a close play, but I'd have gone with offensive foul on this one.
Trail may have a good look at this play, but if they're going to have a whistle it should only be if the L doesn't have a whistle on the play. We're trying to get away from double whistles when the play is CLEARLY in someone else's primary area of coverage. In this play the illegal contact is clearly in the L's primary. Therefore, he should have first crack at the play, and only if the L passes on this play the T should be able to come in and have a whistle if they deem there to be illegal contact.

Page 61 in the CCA Manual!

Oh, and I have a charge on this play.
Old Sun Aug 03, 2014, 10:04pm
AremRed

I have been told before that under NCAA-W, when the Lead looks outside to address a play around the 3-point line that the Trail looks inside for post play and rebounding coverage. Is this true?
Old Mon Aug 04, 2014, 12:13am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I have been told before that under NCAA-W, when the Lead looks outside to address a play around the 3-point line that the Trail looks inside for post play and rebounding coverage. Is this true?
Yes.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2014, 12:32am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Yes.
Soooo this is the Trail's play?
Old Mon Aug 04, 2014, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Soooo this is the Trail's play?
It's a tough one. If the L had been positioned the way he was supposed to be from the start my prior comment about it being the T's secondary stands. This one it probably would've been better for the T to take it but it was going to be tough for him to get it first given how fast the L blew his whistle.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Aug 05, 2014 at 12:19am.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2014, 09:07pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
It's a tough one. If the L had been positioned the way he was supposed to be from the start my prior comment about it being the T's secondary stands. This one it probably would've be better for the T to take it but it was going to be tough for him to get it first given how fast the L blew his whistle.
I agree with this 100%. Had the L been at the wide angle position the whole time (like he should have been), then he wouldn't have closed his look off to the pass and the subsequent block/charge play. If he was at the wide angle position, he wouldn't have been surprised by the play, and probably would've gotten it right as he would've seen it developing in his peripheral. A quick whistle helped compound the fact that he probably got the play wrong. Watching the play develop all the way to the end would've helped him out as well, I feel.

Yes, this is the T's focus when the L takes the ball in the corner, but it is still in the L's primary. It's his to have first crack at.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2014, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
Yes, this is the T's focus when the L takes the ball in the corner, but it is still in the L's primary. It's his to have first crack at.
Agreed. But if you're the T (or even the C) watching this play unfold and have definite knowledge that the pass was received inside the LDB ... are you going to the L with information?
Old Tue Aug 05, 2014, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
Agreed. But if you're the T (or even the C) watching this play unfold and have definite knowledge that the pass was received inside the LDB ... are you going to the L with information?
If the lead indicates he has an RA block, then the T should be giving the L this extra information.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Aug 05, 2014, 12:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Never doubted, just did not look like players that old.

Peace
You're just getting older, Jeff.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2014, 06:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post

Gotta disagree with this...if the L takes the play in the corner (as he should) then he should not have first crack at this play. The T should, as he/she would have oicked up the post play and had the whole start-develop-finish look at the play. L is just going to be picking up the end of the play and should only have a whistle if there isn't one from the T (or C).
Old Wed Aug 06, 2014, 01:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You're just getting older, Jeff.
No doubt about that one. Not the young whipper snapper I was when I first came to this board or when I started officiating.

Peace