The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Positioning (video)

The plays on this clip struck me as I watch games trying to stay in basketball mode over the summer.

The first two focus on one official and his movement during a fast break sequence. The third was the same guy (my apologies to him) during a half-court possession. In the first two, IMO, he gave up too soon on trying to reach the end line. The third reminded me of something observers told me to work on during camps in the past and that - hopefully - I've managed to correct: staying too far on the court.

Anyway, thoughts???

BTW, these games were officiated with NCAAW mechanics.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if it was giving up too soon getting to the end line or too busy watching the ball. Based in what I can tell he was watching the ball fromthe time the new offense got it. In at least one play, players were in front of him and he was watching the ball. In this situation, it seems like if he had reached the end line and was watching the defense he could make any calls easier but hey that's me
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 06:49pm
Official & Member

Agree on the ball watching. As new lead, his primary responsibility should be to bust butt to get to endline to receive the play. He lags and watched ball all the way down...in second sequence, making a call that is really the responsibility of the C. Same guy gets ahead of ball as new T. His partner is doing a nice job in transition on the other end.

Side note: I just noticed the venue is Disney Wide World of Sports in Orlando. Good chance I know one of these guys.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 06:54pm.
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to swerv17
It's funny you posted this. I was just watching this game on ESPN3.com just last night! I had some concerns with the crew too in terms of positioning and and some other things. Also, the one official is using HS mechanics. This camp is usually a D1 tryout camp. correct?

I always run as hard in transition from T to L to get to the end line to receive the play and I am reffing the defense with an awareness of the offeensive player. As T, I was told by a D1 ref who is also in the D-League to get towards the sideline as the T to get an open look. That way you have a chance to see the possible flick on the elbow. And if there is a quick turnover, you aren't caught in the "crossfire." As C, I was told it's OK to come onto the floor if the ball and players are on the other side of the court, than adjust accordingly as the ball rotates back.

Thanks for posting this. I love watching and learning from video! The season is just around the corner.

Keep learning and geting better. Give back what you have learned and experienced to someone else. We'll all be better officials for it.

"Rules competency breeds calmness and confidence in chaos."-Vince Iandoli

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I just noticed the venue is Disney Wide World of Sports in Orlando. Good chance I know one of these guys.
If you do, let 'em know I'm not trying to pick on that one guy. It just really stood out when I was watching the game. If those were quick transitions it would be one thing but he was beyond the 28-foot mark when the ball changed hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv17 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I love watching and learning from video! The season is just around the corner.
Any time! Time on my hands and editing equipment on my PC can be a dangerous combo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv17 View Post
I had some concerns with the crew too in terms of positioning and some other things.
What were the other concerns? If you can remember when they took place I can post those plays too.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sat Aug 17, 2013 at 08:56pm.
Old Sat Aug 17, 2013, 10:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

In the very last play I don't like that he is walking away from the play he is officiating and counting in the post.
Old Sun Aug 18, 2013, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In the very last play I don't like that he is walking away from the play he is officiating and counting in the post.
I know I stopped it before that play continued but his movements didn't make sense to me there, either. Even if the L had been rotating the C is supposed to stay pretty much near their home position until the play finishes. If he had to call a foul on that play - he didn't - it also wouldn't have looked great to be walking away from the play.