The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I could never fathom going the wrong direction after a free throw and letting it last more than 5 seconds. And if someone were to launch a shot a the wrong basket that goes in after the buzzer, I'm not compounding my complete ineptitude by scoring points.
Just to be clear, you're going to stop play here before the ball goes through?
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 01:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Just to be clear, you're going to stop play here before the ball goes through?
Most definitely.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 02:11pm
We don't rent pigs

You stop play when you realize what's happening. The guys in the OP obviously didn't realize what was happening. If A gets a shot here that goes in after the buzzer, there's no doubt in my mind they would have signaled it good. After all this, it comes to light what had happened, you go back and take the points off the board and credit the basket at the other end to white? I don't think you can do that.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Most definitely.
No way to know what's happening here until 4 actually lines up for the shot. That's about a full second here. Even if I have notice, I have never stopped a player from shooting at the wrong basket, and I've never heard of anyone doing it. I will, however, enforce the rules (illegal dribble, 10 seconds, etc) and I would have stopped the clock and given blue the ball after they scored in white's goal.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 03:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
No way to know what's happening here until 4 actually lines up for the shot. That's about a full second here. Even if I have notice, I have never stopped a player from shooting at the wrong basket, and I've never heard of anyone doing it. I will, however, enforce the rules (illegal dribble, 10 seconds, etc) and I would have stopped the clock and given blue the ball after they scored in white's goal.
Agreed

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 06:40pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
I don't care what the book says to do after the goal is scored in the wrong basket. Stop play, award the goal properly at the table, and have an endline throw-in to the correct team. That's going to clean up all the extra confusion.
Exactly. If you catch this, all other action becomes irrelevant.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 06:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Once the wrong team inbounds the ball I'm stopping the game. So I will not have to stop the last second shot.

You and I may be talking about different portions of the play.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jul 11, 2014 at 08:54pm.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

The ball goes through white's basket so 2 points for white, especially since this is not a case of an error on a throw in. I see it no differently than if a player got confused after a steal or in one of those crazy hypothetical plays that are occassionally posted here that have a pass some how go into a basket. Its still two points.

But, when white grabs the ball for the ensuing throw in I stop the game (hopefully I noticed) because it should be blues ball after the made basket.

I would not issue a tech per 10.1.8 for delay because the goal was nit the result of a try by white before they and they did not attempt a try at their basket. If everyone is confused then stop the game as soon as you realize there is n issue.

If they went back and forth for a few minutes before anyone notices, I don't see why you would remove any points scored unless you can exactly pin point what the score and time remaining was. If you take away the points then you should add back the time.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMN View Post
I don't care what the book says to do after the goal is scored in the wrong basket. Stop play, award the goal properly at the table, and have an endline throw-in to the correct team. That's going to clean up all the extra confusion.
^^^^^This. I've been involved with this. Happened to me in one of my most memorable games ever over 10 years ago. Wish we had done that... But I'm ready if it ever happens again.

Here's my post 10 years ago.Player Shoots at Wrong Basket

Last edited by Mregor; Fri Jul 11, 2014 at 09:11pm.