Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 04:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Forum Needs A Like Button ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I also applaud the fact that you walked away ... and later had a polite conversation with the coach ... shows true professionalism.
Like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If a coach is yelling at my partner when I'm standing right next to him, and he runs right through my warnings, I'm going to handle it myself.
Like.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 09, 2014 at 06:29pm.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2014, 09:37pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I agree with this philosophy in "theory" but we have to be careful to make sure young refs understand it is not "policy". Was observing two newer refs doing a varsity level summer game when the coach went crazy. After R1 (who made the call in question) correctly T'd him he stormed onto the floor, got in her personal space, and she tossed him as R2, who had been on other end of court was making his way there. After game we sat to discuss a she was miffed that R2 didn't get the 2nd Tech and started to lay into him. She thought partner was always supposed to get 2nd T and felt she was doing his dirty work. Luckily, R2 was understanding and both learned something from it.

For me, this philosophy is correct if there is a delay between the two techs -- maybe I Tee the coach and then later when he continually misbehaves or refuses to stay seated I discuss with partner and he zaps him the next time it happens. But if its bang bang then I fire off both barrels without hesitation.

And, as for reason #1, my judgement is never skewed by this. Its not personal and I don't look for T's. For reason #2, don't care. I can't control what a coach wants to think when I enforce rules. I've been around long enough not to have to worry about reputations, coaches talking about me to each other, or being scratched. For those that do have to worry, keep doing it by the book and you won't have to worry long. Good word about you will spread.
That's a good point about making it clear that it's not in the official's manual or something.

As for the reasons I gave, they don't apply to everybody.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 11:04pm
AremRed

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I've determined that I didn't give the coach adequate time to settle down. He wasn't profane. He wasn't out the box, etc. His behavior didn't really fit the 4 P's: personal, prolonged, profane, public. It was public but not more than any other coach would do. So bad tech on my part. I need to raise my threshold a little.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 11:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

In summer ball?

Whack.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 11:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Thanks everyone for the great responses. I've determined that I didn't give the coach adequate time to settle down. He wasn't profane. He wasn't out the box, etc. His behavior didn't really fit the 4 P's: personal, prolonged, profane, public. It was public but not more than any other coach would do. So bad tech on my part. I need to raise my threshold a little.
That's why summer is great, a chance to make mistakes and analyze them without much harm being done.
Old Thu Jul 10, 2014, 11:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Summer ball?

Whack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In summer ball?

Whack.
Hey, don't steal my move :P
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will usually give one last verbal warning unless the continued comment or behavior is aggregious. Something like "let it go and move on so we can avoid further actions and get back to the game" - in my best sweet & nonthreatening voice of course. This goes over better if you have already spent time building rapport and talking with the coach during the game.

I try to do this before hand as well. Last weekend had a team loudly bemoaning my partners call. As he reported the foul I politely advised both teams to not "let the attitudes get out of hand." One girl looked at me and mumbled "when the calls get fair". I replied with another warning "next time that will earn a T" and when she rolled her eyes, shrugged her shoulders, and mumbled "so", she got one. I could have fired off right away but thought better game management to be patient but I didn't get the opportunity to do so.

By the way, whether I give a loud warning, put a warning in the book (I know, its a Texas thing), or give a soft warning to a coach or player, I always make sure my partner knows to whom and why the warning was issued so he can be on the same page.
I'm not a big fan of the next time warning. It's kind of like the "one more word" warning. I think it puts me in a bad spot if something is said.

I prefer "knock it off, that's enough etc..." It does not put me into the I don't make threats, I make promises mode.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I try to do this before hand as well. Last weekend had a team loudly bemoaning my partners call. As he reported the foul I politely advised both teams to not "let the attitudes get out of hand." One girl looked at me and mumbled "when the calls get fair". I replied with another warning "next time that will earn a T" and when she rolled her eyes, shrugged her shoulders, and mumbled "so", she got one. I could have fired off right away but thought better game management to be patient but I didn't get the opportunity to do so.
Disagree all the way here. How many warnings does it take? All you did was let her get in yet another jab until she was penalized for her behavior. I would have stuck her on the "when calls get fair" comment. All the second warning did is encourage the next reaction. She was going to get the T no matter what, why let the first comment go unpunished?
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I'm not a big fan of the next time warning. It's kind of like the "one more word" warning. I think it puts me in a bad spot if something is said.

I prefer "knock it off, that's enough etc..." It does not put me into the I don't make threats, I make promises mode.
Agreed.