The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #106 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
did you just post this nonsense to see the reaction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
You are kidding right?
If you don't think the comments are serious, let them lie. If someone's intent was just to get a reaction, and they don't get one, they will go away. If that was not their intent, and they see no one responding to them, perhaps they will be less nonsensical in the future.

One can hope, at least.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Fellas - the facts are simple:

- Ed Rush, in a meeting on Thr. of the conference tournament, told game officials he would pay $5,000 or give them a trip to Cancun to anyone who "rang him up" or "ran him".
- Ed Rush said the same thing in a meeting the next day, Friday.
- On Friday, one official (who was present in BOTH meetings) assessed a T to the very same coach (AFTER an incorrect call went against Arizona).
- Per a PAC-12 official, the game official who assessed the T doesn't normally give people a T (in fact he worked only 11 games this yr w/ a T; which ranks him tied for 144th nationally).
- The ONLY T that Miller got during the year was in this game.

When you think about it, here's where it gets even more suspicious.

During conference tournaments, aren't players and coaches even more emotional than during the regular season? The officials that are selected to work these games not only get plays right, but more importantly, have the ability to manage players/coaches during incredibly tense situations.

During the BCS conference tournaments this year (PAC 12, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC, & Big East), do you know how many times a coach was assessed a T?.....

TWICE: Arizona's Miller and UCLA's Howland (vs Oregon in the Champ. Game).

During the 68 total tournament games played, some of the most volatile and boisterous coaches in America weren't penalized...yet a guy who had not received 1 T all season gets one AFTER the Supervisor specifically targets him in a meeting - not once but TWICE?

You're right....it WAS a joke after all.
These are exactly my thoughts. Rush should be fired by the conference. We already aren't trusted by the public in general, and this just makes it worse. And like JRut, you can talk all day about how you "Don't care what the public thinks", but in this situation, it does matter.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 10:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't think he should be fired, but I'll be surprised if he isn't. I also think the idiot who leaked the joke should be let go by the conference. This isn't whistle blowing, it's spite.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't think he should be fired, but I'll be surprised if he isn't. I also think the idiot who leaked the joke should be let go by the conference. This isn't whistle blowing, it's spite.
Slippery slope. One guy quit before the tournament who worked the last 9 consecutive championship games. Two former Final Four officials opted to work smaller conference tournament games rather than the Pac-12. You cannot have that much internal strife with that many accomplished veterans without very serious problems with the entire organization. Larry Scott thought the organization was sick/weak, and brought in Rush to fix it. Rush made it worse, whether these comments came out or not. Bad hire that needs to be rectified regardless.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
These are exactly my thoughts. Rush should be fired by the conference. We already aren't trusted by the public in general, and this just makes it worse. And like JRut, you can talk all day about how you "Don't care what the public thinks", but in this situation, it does matter.
If it matters why does he still have a job? It must not matter that much. And this is not the Rutgers sitaution at all. There was no public funds going to this indiviual in the same way.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:43am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Brad, you cut me so deep.
You made your bed, you lie in it!

I was seriously surprised that ANYONE had more than JRut!!
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
You made your bed, you lie in it!

I was seriously surprised that ANYONE had more than JRut!!
Not sure why, I just passed JR in number recently. And Snaq, I mean Adam passed me some time ago. You obviously have not been coming to this site very often.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 11:59am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
One guy quit before the tournament who worked the last 9 consecutive championship games. Two former Final Four officials opted to work smaller conference tournament games rather than the Pac-12. You cannot have that much internal strife with that many accomplished veterans without very serious problems with the entire organization.
You must not have been around college basketball officiating very much. There is ALWAYS that much strife with a change in coordinators. New coordinator means changes, different game assignments, some get less, some get more ... and some get disgruntled.

Same thing has happened over and over in different leagues as new coordinators have taken over in the last 5 years. Completely standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Larry Scott thought the organization was sick/weak, and brought in Rush to fix it. Rush made it worse, whether these comments came out or not. Bad hire that needs to be rectified regardless.
I don't know that your assessment of why Rush was brought in is all to on target either. Seems like you are just conjecturing ... unless you have some kind of insider info.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You must not have been around college basketball officiating very much. There is ALWAYS that much strife with a change in coordinators. New coordinator means changes, different game assignments, some get less, some get more ... and some get disgruntled.

Same thing has happened over and over in different leagues as new coordinators have taken over in the last 5 years. Completely standard.

I don't know that your assessment of why Rush was brought in is all to on target either. Seems like you are just conjecturing ... unless you have some kind of insider info.
Just look at what happened in the BIG a few years ago. The entire staff looks very different than it did when the previous guy was in that position. And all I heard for 2 years is officials complaining about the staff and who got left off the staff by fellow officials.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:40pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure why, I just passed JR in number recently. And Snaq, I mean Adam passed me some time ago. You obviously have not been coming to this site very often.
You're not sure why, but your instincts are pretty spot on!

Been busy working ... and for the past two years that hasn't included officiating, so I only show up to stir things up and start the occasional duplicate thread!
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You're not sure why, but your instincts are pretty spot on!

Been busy working ... and for the past two years that hasn't included officiating, so I only show up to stir things up and start the occasional duplicate thread!
I know why I passed JR, but not sure why you thought I was at the top. It took me some time to pass other guys that are still with us.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:44pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Just look at what happened in the BIG a few years ago. The entire staff looks very different than it did when the previous guy was in that position. And all I heard for 2 years is officials complaining about the staff and who got left off the staff by fellow officials.
Assume you are talking about the Big 12? Hard to decipher when using "the BIG" and "previous guy"

It is ALWAYS that way when a new coordinator takes over ... When Kelley took over the Metro there was a guy that worked the tournament championship the year before that received ZERO games the next year!!

When a new coordinator comes in everything changes — with the exception of bitching and moaning ... that never changes.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Not sure why, I just passed JR in number recently. And Snaq, I mean Adam passed me some time ago. You obviously have not been coming to this site very often
Mystery solved. Thanks. I was wondering what happened to the ever present snaqwells.

Glad to know he's still involved.

What exactly does "snaqwells" reference anyway? It always invoked a box of snack crackers to mind whenever I saw it.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:45pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
I know why I passed JR, but not sure why you thought I was at the top. It took me some time to pass other guys that are still with us.
Didn't think it would take you that long —*don't you have a cushy government job?
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Assume you are talking about the Big 12? Hard to decipher when using "the BIG" and "previous guy"

It is ALWAYS that way when a new coordinator takes over ... When Kelley took over the Metro there was a guy that worked the tournament championship the year before that received ZERO games the next year!!

When a new coordinator comes in everything changes — with the exception of bitching and moaning ... that never changes.
The usage of BIG is often a internet usage to describe the Big 10 because of their logo. Sorry I forget I am dealing in mixed company.

But the situation with the Big 12 also caused some controversy but that supervisor assigned 4 leagues. So there was some people rumbling when he took over. A lot more people were affected by that change than anywhere else I can think of.

Peace