The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's say I'm the TD of the LL tournament. I come up to the umpires and say, "Little League protocol requires that the umpires be available X minutes after the game because of the potential of MPR protests." You're still going to drop the balls and run?
Rich again it's an area by area "thing" which IMO is getting "lost in the translation"

Your "kneck of the wood" is different than mine and there is nothing wrong with that. It's like comparing someone raised in the South Bronx in NY to the suburbs.

Also, my assignments whether LL, Legion CBL etc. do not come from ANY TD. My assignments come from my assignor. If my ASSIGNOR said

"Pete do you want to work in this weekends LL Tournament and by the way the TD wants the umpires to "hang around" xx minutes after the game, IMO is a different scenario because I now know UP FRONT what is required so I would either say yes or NO (which BTW would be my answer)

Now let's say My assignor simply said

"Pete are you available for this weekends LL Tournament and I say yes and he gives me the time, date and location of the game. I now arrive at the field and the TD comes over and says

"Hey guys we want you to "hang around" xx minutes after the game. In that situation I don't care what the TD said I am following our ASSOCIATION Protocol which is to either drop the balls at the plate area or toss the balls to the HT, greet our partner and LEAVE.

IMO asking umpires to "hang around" is DISRESPECTFUL. Suppose there was a controversial call which ended the game. You now want the umpires to hang around and take abuse because you are worried about giving the teams ample time to appeal? Give me a break

Coaches have ample time to appeal at the end of the game.

In a nutshell for the most part hanging around after the game is over can lead to nothing but trouble whether it's LL, Legion etc.

Also, if I worked in your association I would FOLLOW whatever protocol was established which is the main point I was trying to make.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

If a tournament director asked me to hang around the mound area before exiting after a game, I would explain why that wasn't a good idea and why we don't do that. If he then insisted that this was part of the job, I would explain that he needed to find another umpire.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 10:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
If a tournament director asked me to hang around the mound area before exiting after a game, I would explain why that wasn't a good idea and why we don't do that. If he then insisted that this was part of the job, I would explain that he needed to find another umpire.
That's fair enough. But those are the things I don't have to worry about in LL tourneys. The coaches simply don't act this way if they want to continue participating in this (or future) years.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

No, a common experience when one team has lost and is looking for any excuse other than they were outcoached and outplayed.