The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

At what point do I award a technical violation during a near fall situation? Example: wrestler A has a cradle on wrestler B - B is on his back for 6 seconds and cries out injuried. I stop the match and what do I award for points? My guess is a total of 5 points - 3 point NF, 1 point for stopping the match and 1 point for the injury. Is this correct?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Related question

In the case book, page 23 5.9.2 it states that just before near fall criteria has been met (I am assuming that means wrestler B is on his back but for less than 2 seconds) wrestler B grabs wrestler A fingers and twist them. This results in a 4 point situation - 2 pt near fall, 1 pt for the penalty and 1 point for having to stop the match. My question is why did the referee need to stop the match? Couldn't he just let it continue and award the penalty point?

Also - on page 25 in the case book, 5.9.4 - the same type of situation during a near fall. Wrestler B grabs the head gear of A but the referee allows the match to continue and just knocks the hand off the head gear. When the situation ended because time expired, the referee awarded 3 pt NF, 1 pt penalty for grabbignt he headgear and 1 pt for stopping the match. The referee did not stop the match time expired?
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Rookie-
First you need to work on your vocabulary and understanding thereof.
If a wrestler is injured it is not a Technical Violation (TV). Even if it is during near-fall.
In this case, stop the match for the injury, award a 4 point near-fall(earned 3 + 1 for the injury), start the injury clock. Resume the match when ready.(5-9-2h)

Case book pg 23.
The referee stops the match to award all penalties with a few exceptions. Since this is prior to near-fall being met, the match should be stopped. Wrestler B is not on his back yet, per se. Award the 2-pt. near-fall, award 1-pt. for stoppage, award proper number of penalty points (1 or 2). Resume the match.

Case book pg 25.
Wrestler B is now in near-fall and Wrestler A has the opportunity to pin. One of the exceptions to stopping the match to award penalties. When time expires, award near-fall earned (3NF), 1-pt. for stopping the match, proper number of penalty points (1 or 2). Why the stoppage point, you ask? Because the infraction called for a stoppage of the match, the exception applies but the penalty remains the same. If wrestler B had not been in a pinning situation, you would have stopped the match. Award the point to A.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your help - this is why I posted the question, to help with my understanding of the wording and also why I am still a rookie just entering into the world of wrestling officiating.

Rookie
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Not a prob.
When you get to the NFHS testing, the words are IMPORTANT.
Know the difference between:
Illegal hold
Technical violation

Injury time
Recovery time

etc....
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

woolnojg -

Just wanted to let you know - I scored a 96% on the NFHS wrestling exam. Thanks for your advice.

Rookie
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

In response to your original post, the correct number of points to award is 4: The offensive wrestler has already earned a 3-point NF (since he's held the defensive wrestler there for 5+ seconds). Therefore, you are to stop the match, signal that the defensive wrestler's injury clock should be started, and award the offensive wrestler a 4-point NF. And yes, it is to be scored a FOUR-POINT NEAR FALL, not a 3-point near fall and a stoppage point.

Note that if the scenario were the same except that instead of crying out the defensive wrestler were to commit a TV or an illegal hold(s) of some kind, you would NOT stop the match (unless you had to) but when the near fall / pinning situation ended you would award the same number of NEAR FALL points (that is, 4) but in addition you would award the appropriate number of points for the infraction(s).

Bottom line -- forget all about any point for stopping the match (that is the point of the adjusted near fall totals awarded). This entire issue has received a ton of coverage, mainly due to the fact that this section of the Rules Book was so poorly worded last year. And don't you know, the Fed for all intents and purposes ignored the issue and repeated the horrendous wording again this year?

In summary, regardless of whether the situation involves an injury or a penalty, the near fall totals are as follows:

Near fall criteria imminent (but not met yet): 2-point NF
Near fall criteria met, but no NF earned yet: 2-point NF
2-point NF already earned, but 3-point NF not earned yet: 3-point NF
3-point NF already earned: 4-point NF

Again, the only difference for a penalty situation involves not the points awarded for the near fall, but instead the point(s) awarded for the infraction(s).

It's just that simple -- don't let anyone tell you otherwise.