The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Help with protecol

Hello fellow officials. I am new to volleyball, and have a question: When I am R-2, where do I stand to mirror the R-1's signal. IOW, if team A loses the point, do I go to their side to mirror? Or do I go to the side who won the point for the mirror? I believe it should be on the side of the team that lost the point because that is the side I'll be on when the serve takes place. Problem is, I've been told BOTH sides are where I should be. My assigner said to go on the side of the winner of the point, but others tell me to go to the loser's side. I get corrected (and sometimes harshly) no matter where I go. The pres. of our org. said to "Look it up in the officials manual." I have looked but cannot find where it says what side to stand on to mirror. Please help me with this (and tell me where to find the answer) so I will do it right. Thanks in advance.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2014, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to our ranks-hope you're having a blast
To answer your question you can award from either side.Just make sure you take the step out wide and follow unless its a net or center line that you initiate.For example-

A.You have started transition on contact of serve when the ball is downed for a Ace.Complete the transition and then make your step out and complete your sequence.

B.You are already on the blocking team's side when an attack from team A is shanked into the bleachers.Since you are already on the blocking team's side wait for the ball to be ruled dead then step out and complete your sequence.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

1st some semantics, the R2 does not award points, only the R1 awards points.
The R2 does not 'mirror' the R1, the R2 'mimics'. Which is to say the R2 follows the R1...never lead the R1 on a R1 initiated call, just transition and follow his signals.

If you make a call, (net, centerline, antenna fault) blow your whistle, go to the fault side, give your signal...etc. The sequence is in the book.

It looks really silly and confusing to indicate a centerline fault on the non-fault side. Also, if the R1 and R2 are working well together, your transition or lack of may give some information to the R1.

Plus, transition to the fault side is expected in USAV and NCAA. If you want to play with the big boys you have to play like the big boys.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Oldsetter,

The FED officials manuall specifically uses the word "Mirror", so that is not incorrect. I agree with your point, that R2 should see the R1's signal, then mirror. Dont try and predict the fault call, wait and see it, then mirror it.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your help guys. To clear things up....I am asking ONLY what side I need to be on when I make my signals when I mirror or mimic the R-1. This is not when I initiate the call (such as net or center line rotations) but when there is a (say) rally, and team A lets the ball fall into their area. I know the point will be for team B, and I know to wait for R-1 to render the signal, and me just mirror/mimic him/her....I just don't know what side of the net to do it on.

One other thing that came up tonight. Like most newbies (I'm guessing), I am having a hard time following rotations so I can see if there is an overlap/out of order etc. I do fine until the Libaro comes in or 15 subs for 6 etc....it just becomes a blur. I do know their positions and which direction they are to rotate, I just lose track of who is who. To me, it just looks like a bunch of girls lined up. I need to figure out who is who so I know which one is supposed to be behind the other or to her right front, left back etc. IOW (honestly, I'm not trying to make this long, I just don't know how to describe what I'm trying to learn), I just get confused as to where the girls are supposed to line up. I try to follow and write it down on my sheet, but I find it takes me way too long and hold up the match. Is there an easier way to follow the order (along with subs) so I know where the girls should be?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

That skill will come in time.We aren't allowed to use those here so it forces you to learn rotations and formations.I think this will be the last skill a majority of new officials master.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Sep 16, 2014, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

It took me about 3 years before I could see what a team was doing in their receive formation.

Suggested things to look for:
- where is the setter? Is she front or back line?
- think: last server was "6" look at lineup card, next 3 setters will be "7","8","9". They are the front row.

Often, an alignment looks "strange", I will have to watch for 3-4 serves before I realize what is wrong and determine if they are legal or not.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fuldiver View Post
Thanks for your help guys. To clear things up....I am asking ONLY what side I need to be on when I make my signals when I mirror or mimic the R-1. This is not when I initiate the call (such as net or center line rotations) but when there is a (say) rally, and team A lets the ball fall into their area. I know the point will be for team B, and I know to wait for R-1 to render the signal, and me just mirror/mimic him/her....I just don't know what side of the net to do it on.
To answer your question...though it's not required, it's recommended you make your signals from the offending team side. It a) makes the signals look better/more appropriate, and b) is now what would be the receiving team side, the place you will need to start the next rally from anyway as you watch the receiving team alignment.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee