The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Do overs

Is it scientifically possible for 2 players to hit/touch the net at the exact same time. We are seeing more replay/do overs because officials say the 2 players went into the net at the exact same time.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime1 View Post
Is it scientifically possible for 2 players to hit/touch the net at the exact same time. We are seeing more replay/do overs because officials say the 2 players went into the net at the exact same time.
Yes, it's possible. Does it happen as often as it's ruled? Of course not.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Note that the volleyball rules provide for a double fault, which is when opposing players commit a fault at the same instant. So, unlike baseball where the runner has to be out or safe, the rules of volleyball recognize "at the same instant" and tell us not to penalize the one who was "very small time" closer to touching the net since both players are not controlling themselves and faulted the net.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Actually it is not 'possible' for two players to hit the net at exactly the same time. If you get a super slow motion camera, you will see that one player will always hit it before the other. Or you can zoom in to see the molecular level and one molecule will always beat the other.

The human eye is not that fast, in fact it is pretty slow. I used to know but forgot the equivalent frame rate of the human eye. Much of what we 'see' is our brain filling in the blanks between the snapshots.

Sorry about that.

As pointed out, the rules allow for simultaneous faults. If it can not be determined which fault occurred first, we replay it. We trane and concentrate to do our best to see what happens. The same is true for a ball that land near a line, but the work teams view is blocked. It should not happen often. I have very few replays.

Some have been instructed to 'have an opinion' on all of these situations, but I personally do not think it is ethical to just guess who was in the net first or if the ball was probably in or probably out or if a pancake is good or not. Either you saw it one way, you saw it the other, or you did not see it. There is no shame in that.

And then today I had a report that a new official called 23 replays in a match.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Yes 23 is very typical here. We had about 4 in a row the other night. I just think it because the officials are afraid to make somebody upset. Just like the reference to baseball. On a close play at the plate it is obvious the runner or the catcher will be upset depending on what call is made.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2014, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

I was new last year and I don't think I called 10 replays for the season.What is expected for a new official where you are? Here I am expected to attend meetings and log a minimum of 4 hrs court time along with passing the test with an 80%.Most do way more than the minimum.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Sep 16, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

As a coach last year I didn't see this called a single time.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Sep 20, 2014, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Replays are not fair to the team that would have received the point. Usually on a replay one team is unhappy and one is not. Sometimes both are unhappy. They are only fair when a determination can not be made from the information available.