Thread: Do overs
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Actually it is not 'possible' for two players to hit the net at exactly the same time. If you get a super slow motion camera, you will see that one player will always hit it before the other. Or you can zoom in to see the molecular level and one molecule will always beat the other.

The human eye is not that fast, in fact it is pretty slow. I used to know but forgot the equivalent frame rate of the human eye. Much of what we 'see' is our brain filling in the blanks between the snapshots.

Sorry about that.

As pointed out, the rules allow for simultaneous faults. If it can not be determined which fault occurred first, we replay it. We trane and concentrate to do our best to see what happens. The same is true for a ball that land near a line, but the work teams view is blocked. It should not happen often. I have very few replays.

Some have been instructed to 'have an opinion' on all of these situations, but I personally do not think it is ethical to just guess who was in the net first or if the ball was probably in or probably out or if a pancake is good or not. Either you saw it one way, you saw it the other, or you did not see it. There is no shame in that.

And then today I had a report that a new official called 23 replays in a match.