The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Concussion like symptoms

Did these officials handle their injury situation correctly according to what was written in the article?

By JACOB SUNDSTROM, STAFF WRITER
Posted Sep. 3, 2014 @ 12:23 am
Updated Sep 3, 2014 at 12:43 AM

APPLE VALLEY — The antidote came too little and too late for Granite Hills girls volleyball as Serrano held off the Cougars in the third set to earn a clean sweep on Tuesday.

The Diamondbacks (1-0) handily won the first two sets 25-10 and 25-9 respectively, and pulled out the third over the Cougars 25-23.

Division 1 commit Sedona Hansen (Tennessee) earned five kills to go along with 14 digs, four aces and 21 assists to lead the way for Serrano, which is the defending co-Mojave River League champion.

April Jergensen added 13 kills to lead all players to go along with six assists and three aces for the D’backs.

In that third set, the Cougars (0-1) took a 2-1 lead and held an advantage until Serrano tied it at 19-19. The D’backs then took the lead at 20-19 and never trailed again, but Granite Hills had opportunities.

Down 22-20, the Cougars rallied back to tie the game at 22-all and then again at 23. The Granite Hills’ gym was electric as the Cougars tried to find a lifeline against a Serrano team that looked dominant. The lifeline wouldn’t come. Granite Hills dropped the next two points and took their first loss of the season.

“We’ll be working on our defense and our blocking,” said Granite Hills head coach Lisa Hele. “We’re a very young team. Our setter’s a sophomore, we have an outside sophomore and a brand new libero who is a sophomore as well.”

The young Granite Hills squad is led by senior captain Hailey Jackson who had a team-high five kills. The vocal D1 commit (Montana) could be heard all through the gym shouting advice and encouragement to her teammates.

“[Jackson] is great at directing and leading the team,” said Hele. “She keeps them positive and motivated and she really embraces that role. It’s part of her repertoire as player, too, she’s very vocal.”

The loss to Serrano came at a high cost for Granite Hills as Lauren Wilson had to be attended to by paramedics after diving for a ball in the third set.

Wilson did not immediately appear to be injured but was taken back to the trainer’s room for precautionary measures after showing concussion-like symptoms on the bench and was later taken to the hospital.

But since Wilson wasn’t removed from the match due to injury, the Cougars had to bring her back to the court to make the substitution after she had been taken to the trainer’s room.

Granite Hills will play at Apple Valley High School on Thursday while Serrano will host Barstow on Tuesday.

- See more at: Prep Volleyball: Diamondbacks dominate season opener - Sports - VVdailypress.com - Victorville, CA

Without having my books with me I would've thought that in this situation since the player was removed for possible injury the sub is reported and we play on.NFHS rules please.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Substitute during timeout, including injury timeout, 10.2.5 coach reports change to second referee, second referee reports to table, no exchange in the sub zone required. casebook 10-2-5.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I thought John-to me this case play covers it perfectly.I'd love to know their thinking on bringing a player removed for concussion like symptoms back from the training room just to execute a substitution.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Sep 07, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. There is absolutely no reason to make them bring an injured player back on the court for a substitution. Sounds like someone needs a little dose of common sense...
Old Sun Sep 14, 2014, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

re-reading this, i noticed it does not make any sense. If the player was removed and evaluated, I assume play continued. It said she showed symptoms while on the bench. Unless the Libero went in for her, I can not see how she had to come back to be subbed out (which would be a replacement anyway). not good sports writing.