The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Back Row recognition

What's the best way to improve back row recognition for example-Back Row Attack,Back Row Block?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Jun 03, 2014, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
What's the best way to improve back row recognition for example-Back Row Attack,Back Row Block?
If the libero is on, you have two players on each side who are back row. Before you blow the whistle, say those two numbers to yourself on each side. Memorize them before you blow the whistle for serve, and before a potential back row fault occurs, know who's about to play the ball and whether or not they're back row before they play it.

Takes practice, but makes it a lot easier if you can master it.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

80% of your back row violations are by a back row setter, since their normal position is in the attack area. While you are learning to do as Felix recommends, look at both sides and know who is the setter and if they are back row.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
This is something I often struggle with. I agree with the other posts that 90 plus percent of the time, the setter will be the issue.

My suggestion, and the one from my association to it's members (where I got it), is to watch the warm-up and make sure you know who the setters are. Even as the R1 you should have time to look at where setter is in the lineup, and more importantly who is opposite of them in the lineup.

Once you know who the setter is, you can usually determine if she is back row or front row fairly easily.

Another thing to key on can be substitutions. Say A6 is the setter (team uses only 1 setter). When she is in the back row, A3 is on the floor. When she is in the front row, S7 comes in for A3. This means that is A3 is on the floor, you have a back row setter, but if S7 is on the floor, you have a front row setter (most of the time).

If a team utilizes a 2 setter system, normally only 1 of them will be on the floor, and the team will have multiple substitions when the setters change. Normally this will be a back row setter only situation.

For example, A6 is the setter to start the set, and when the team rotates so A6 would be front row, they will often substitute someone in for A3 (who would be rotating to the back row), and substitute someone for A6 as they come to the front row. In this situation, where they use two setters you may see A6 as a front row setter though, while A3 serves (they sub in for A3 after she serves).

Watch your substitution patterns, they can often give you big hints as to who the setter is, and if she is front or back row.

For the 10%-20% of cases where the back row fault is not a setter issue, it will normally be a 10 foot line issue on an attack, which normally you should be able to see fairly clearly.
Old Wed Jun 04, 2014, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all for the suggestions.Working a club tournament this weekend so I'll give them a shot.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Jun 05, 2014, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to keep it simple. Look to both sides and determine the setter's position before you beckon...every single time. I always check the serving setter first, and say down/up, then the receiving setter. I focus more so on the receiving setter as that's who the violation would occur on first if one were to present itself.

Plus, this helps you establish a consistent pre-scan beckon.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2014, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
We're focusing on the setters here, but more and more teams are setting to pipe hitters, and in serve receive, it's important to know which one is back row. Equally important to not missing a fault by a back row hitter is NOT whistling a back row fault on a hitter who turns out to be front row.

I'd recommend tweaking your scans to know which TWO players are back row (besides the libero)...just in case.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Sat Jun 07, 2014, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
We're focusing on the setters here, but more and more teams are setting to pipe hitters, and in serve receive, it's important to know which one is back row. Equally important to not missing a fault by a back row hitter is NOT whistling a back row fault on a hitter who turns out to be front row.

I'd recommend tweaking your scans to know which TWO players are back row (besides the libero)...just in case.
UGGGGG, the Back row that's not a back row situation.

I was working a HS tourney where an official failed to show. This messed with the rotation.

For some reason we had to switch out the R2 during a set (stupid decision, but it's what tourney management wanted), so I get to be the R2. I ask for the lineup card from the outgoing R2. She doesn't use one. Now I'm coming on without a lineup card and have been told not to delay the set to make one.

First play after I take the R2 spot, my R1 calls an illegal back row attack on the setter. Coach immediately calls a time out and comes over to emphatically let me know that in fact she was not a back row player, but had rotated into the front row several points ago (the opponents were on a run at this point). I have to go look at the score sheet and finally determine the coach is right. Now I have to go explain to the pig headed moron of an R1 who wants to argue with me that she was actually front row.

Finally, a few minutes later we get things settled until after the match. The R1 comes over and starts chewing me out for overruling him on a call he made. Thankfully I have not seen him at VB much sense. (See my next post).