The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Working with a coach after a card

USAV rules:

In a club tournament this past weekend, I needed to card a coach for abusing my line judge. He was complaining about her calls which were close, but I had no reason to doubt her judgement. I gave him a warning, but her continued to complain about the line calls resulting in a card.

Because this was a club tournament where each team provides a work team of R2, line judges, and scorekeeper/libero tracker positions, the coach serves as an R2. In the very next match after carding the coach, I needed to work with him. He was useless as an R2 because of his anger with me. He would not look at me and would not call any net violations. After missing about three different net/line violations, I started to take the responsibility for making these calls. I also had to signal for substitutions, as the coach just stood there staring at the floor. What would other referees do in this situation?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavbref View Post
USAV rules:

In a club tournament this past weekend, I needed to card a coach for abusing my line judge. He was complaining about her calls which were close, but I had no reason to doubt her judgement. I gave him a warning, but her continued to complain about the line calls resulting in a card.

Because this was a club tournament where each team provides a work team of R2, line judges, and scorekeeper/libero tracker positions, the coach serves as an R2. In the very next match after carding the coach, I needed to work with him. He was useless as an R2 because of his anger with me. He would not look at me and would not call any net violations. After missing about three different net/line violations, I started to take the responsibility for making these calls. I also had to signal for substitutions, as the coach just stood there staring at the floor. What would other referees do in this situation?
Call him over during a time out and tell him he needs to pay attention and make the calls he is supposed to make. If he shows no interest in that, then you have no recourse but to...

Replace him. If he's not interesting in doing right by the match for the sake of the other teams/players/coaches, then replace him. Not the ideal option, but sometimes the right decision is the toughest one to make.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

He might have been doing his best, based on his complaining from the previous match.