The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

"safe" signal

First of all, I only work HS volleyball using NFHS rules.

I have noticed several of my fellow officials using a "safe" signal to indicate that there is nothing to call on a particular play.

I am wondering where this might have come from. I have never been told to use this signal in any VB training I have been to. Now, our training for HS officials the last few years has been sorely lacking, but I still have not been instructed to use this signal from any official source.

I'm not referring to the "legal back row attack" signal as shown in the NFHS book using a single arm on one side of the net.

Did the use of the "safe" signal originate in other VB codes or sanctions?
Old Thu Oct 04, 2012, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
It's something you want to avoid. If there's something NOT safe, you'd blow your whistle.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

+1
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 06:41pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Andy, I would hazard a guess that the officials using that "safe" signal only officiate HS volleyball since there is not any "safe" signal used in any of the other volleyball rules codes (NCAA & USAV/FIVB) and they do not belong to an officials association having members who ref the other rules codes. Sounds like a case of the blind leading the blind. However, when you encounter the situation, ask the official why he used that signal and where he learned to use it since there is not any rules book or case book justification.

As Felix posted, it is something to avoid. It does not serve any useful purpose. If there is a fault, blow the whistle. When you use signal 7 (Legal Attack), you are conveying that you saw either the ball partially below the top of the net or the player behind the attack line when the ball was contacted. A "safe" sign is not an approved signal under any rules code and indicates nothing.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)