The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 24, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Any tricks to slow down a partner?

I don't routinely work with the same partner in volleyball. So I get to work with a large number of officials. The last week I have had 3 partners that signal so fast when they are on the ladder that by the time I take a step to the offending side of the net they have already signaled the call and have the point awarded and are lowering their arm. Now I'm not any speedy guy but I'm not THAT slow. It just seems tacky to me and gives the appearance that these guys just want to rush the game and get it over with. Are there any tricks that any of you have to try and slow down your partners?

Along this same line maybe I am just too slow? My procedure is to blow the ball dead, signal the status/foul, lower that signal then award the point. I have worked with a few that have my timing and to me it looks really good when we are both in sync at that pace and I have never slowed down a match by anymeans.

Thoughts?
Old Fri Aug 24, 2012, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

It won't really benefit you much to attempt to slow down your partner, especially if they're the R1. All you can really do is keep your own pace, so long as you're mirroring whatever signal(s) they're giving.

This is something that's more appropriate for the match de-brief between the two of you vs focusing on it during the match. If it doesn't hinder the match, save it for the debrief.