The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
College Match

Watched a little bit of a college match over the weekend and I noticed the LJ was standing way back on the serve and then moved up. I had some problems with a LJ standing way back and staying there. I will likely be a LJ in upcoming district tournaments. I plan to stay close to the corner to get a good view of the lines. I assume the college official does it out of habit to be sure that a server has maximum run of the end line.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Watched a little bit of a college match over the weekend and I noticed the LJ was standing way back on the serve and then moved up. I had some problems with a LJ standing way back and staying there. I will likely be a LJ in upcoming district tournaments. I plan to stay close to the corner to get a good view of the lines. I assume the college official does it out of habit to be sure that a server has maximum run of the end line.
If the server is standing to the left sideline and will come close to your base position, you will want to line up behind them and even with the sideline, so you can still watch for sideline calls. The R1 will then take the lead on foot fault calls. Once the server serves the ball, get quickly back to your base position.

It isn't so much so the server can have access to the full end line, so much as to prevent the line judge from distracting or interfering with the server by getting in her line of sight.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 03:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thanks. I have 2 DHs this week and then the districts. I have done some matches as R1. The rotations still have me a bit flummoxed, but I am picking up on all of the other stuff. The rotations will come.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 08:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I'm going to be a LJ at a D1 match this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, to be honest.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck Scrapper-I'm going to be doing lines for a boys HS semi-final on Nov.3 and the 3'rd/Championship matches on Nov.5! For those of you quzzically looking at your computer screens and saying-"Boys VB in the fall?" CIF-SS allows a group of schools who do not field football at any level (6,8,11 Man) to play volleyball in the fall as another boys sport.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Mon Oct 10, 2011 at 10:13pm.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

I do lines for our local Jr College league and a local DII school. I really enjoy doing lines.

Since all of the matches that I am LJ for are played on a court that has basketball markings, we are instructed that if the server starts his/her serve outside of the basketball lane on your side of the court, that is when you move back behind him/her and move back to base once the serve is completed.

I have, however, been instructed by some R1s to move out instead of back, presumably because the server is getting very close to the end line and the R1 wants the LJ to have a better look.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I have done lines for D1, D2, & D3 matches, and normally, we step behind the server when she is within an extended arms length away. The only times we step to the side is by request of the R1 or if there is not enough space to stand behind the server --ie when the wall is close to the back line.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

I'm with pavbref- when the server moves to within an arms length or so of my starting position I move back.Otherwise I start fully facing the service line and move to my proper spot once the contact is made.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2011, 10:19pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm going to be a LJ at a D1 match this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it, to be honest.
Had a lot of fun tonight. Long way to go for 75 bucks, but it was a great experience.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have, however, been instructed by some R1s to move out instead of back, presumably because the server is getting very close to the end line and the R1 wants the LJ to have a better look.
This is an option that is available to the R1 at the college level - I'll do whatever they ask.

I will admit that on very rare occasions I have asked the LJ to do this at the HS level - most recently at a tournament this past weekend. The court arrangement was such that there was about 12 feet or so from the end line to the bleachers. There was a player on one team that would start her run up to the jump serve up against the bleachers right at the LJ's side line - there was truly nowhere for the LJ to go. Rather than have her give up both lines and be totally out of position, I told the LJ that when that player serves, just take a couple steps off the sideline, then quickly return to her position as soon as the ball was served.