The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

"Lift" - Rule Language

I have looked and maybe I am not searching in the right places but I cannot find the language that defines a "lift" in NFHS rules. I ref both USAV and college so I am aware of what a lift is in both of those cases but I don't know the definition for high school. I am an observer (and spouse of a coach) for high school.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 12:19am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
The definition of a lift is not included in the NFHS Rules Book. 9-4-5 gives the following:
Quote:
ART. 5 . . . Legal contact is a touch of the ball by a player’s body above and including the waist which does not allow the ball to visibly come to rest or involve prolonged contact with a player’s body.
The lift is considered an illegal hit - check the signal chart and you will not find a signal for a lift.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 08:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Legal contact is a touch of the ball by a player’s body above and including the waist which does not allow the ball to visibly come to rest or involve prolonged contact with a player’s body.
Interesting. So what if you bend over so that your hands are below your waist?

Ok, serious question. What if a player makes a bad first hit which deflects off a teammate's foot but bounces up into the air where it could be legally hit over the net? Is the unintentional contact with the foot illegal and the end of the rally?

In NCAA-W, we don't worry about this, right? There's no provision for "above the waist".

Last edited by Scrapper1; Sat Oct 18, 2008 at 08:47am.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

You may hear "lift", "throw," even "carry" at times. They are just other terms for illigal hit.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Interesting. So what if you bend over so that your hands are below your waist?

Ok, serious question. What if a player makes a bad first hit which deflects off a teammate's foot but bounces up into the air where it could be legally hit over the net? Is the unintentional contact with the foot illegal and the end of the rally?

In NCAA-W, we don't worry about this, right? There's no provision for "above the waist".
In NFHS this is an illegal hit and does end the rally.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

What BITS said.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 05:54pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
And next year, we will submit to the NFHS VB Rules Committee to get rid of the prohibition against contact below the waist. If a player can get to the ball with ANY body part, let's play and give credit for an athletic play.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

" And next year, we will submit to the NFHS VB Rules Committee to get rid of the prohibition against contact below the waist."

And next year it will be rejected as it always has been.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I've been called for illegal contact everytime the hands were below the waistline. and witness to that numerous times.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 12:11pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Omni, someone just likes to pick on you is all!
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
" And next year, we will submit to the NFHS VB Rules Committee to get rid of the prohibition against contact below the waist."

And next year it will be rejected as it always has been.
Perhaps, but Illegitimi non carborundum I always say.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
If a player can get to the ball with ANY body part, let's play and give credit for an athletic play.
While I wouldn't have any objection to a change in the rules, I would never have characterized any contact below the waist that I have personally seen as an athletic play. It has always been the result of somebody completely missing the ball or shanking a pass so badly that it just manages to hit someone in the leg right before it hits the ground. I can honestly say that in my five short years of officiating volleyball that I have never seen a ball saved after a contact below the waist.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

I can say that in EU league, it is never an athletic play and always a desperation play. Anything else after that, is just pure chance of luck.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 05:55pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Omni, I gotta agree, but that is what makes it so totally cool! It is an awesome sight when, out of the blue, a ball that looks like it is going to be out of play gets saved because a player can get a foot under it to send it back to the court and over the net. It may be desperation, as you say, but it is also athletic because the player was able to pull it off.

I have had it happen a couple of times in the last 3 or 4 years, and I have had to kill the ball during High School matches and allow the play to continue in USAV Juniors matches.

As always, YMMV.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Retrozetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Omni, I gotta agree, but that is what makes it so totally cool! It is an awesome sight when, out of the blue, a ball that looks like it is going to be out of play gets saved because a player can get a foot under it to send it back to the court and over the net.
Best move I saw was when a team jumped up to block, the ball deflected off the blockers arms and fell downward towards their court. The nearest blocker, while the ball is dropping right in front of him, he "hackey-sacked" the ball with the side of his foot, and it went straight up and parallel to the net, to their outside hitter (a beautifully perfect set, under any standards) and that hitter clobbered the ball down to the opponent's court. Luckily, it was a USAV match... under NFHS rules, I would have cried having to call the fault on them. I'd be required to call it, but thank god it was a USAV match.

Having that said, I also understand wherein NFHS is structured to teach the fundamentals. When they get to USAV at college, then they can show off... but master the basics first.
Not just a sponge for the rules, but for the philosophies behind the rules.