View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Retrozetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Omni, I gotta agree, but that is what makes it so totally cool! It is an awesome sight when, out of the blue, a ball that looks like it is going to be out of play gets saved because a player can get a foot under it to send it back to the court and over the net.
Best move I saw was when a team jumped up to block, the ball deflected off the blockers arms and fell downward towards their court. The nearest blocker, while the ball is dropping right in front of him, he "hackey-sacked" the ball with the side of his foot, and it went straight up and parallel to the net, to their outside hitter (a beautifully perfect set, under any standards) and that hitter clobbered the ball down to the opponent's court. Luckily, it was a USAV match... under NFHS rules, I would have cried having to call the fault on them. I'd be required to call it, but thank god it was a USAV match.

Having that said, I also understand wherein NFHS is structured to teach the fundamentals. When they get to USAV at college, then they can show off... but master the basics first.
Not just a sponge for the rules, but for the philosophies behind the rules.