The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

College Officials

One of the many hats I wear throughout the week is that of volunteer campus minister of a small liberal arts D-III college. The other day the Asst VB coach and I were talking about the VB officiating. We both wonder why the few net calls we see even when the players are clearly contacting the net a lot after hits and moving it down a considerable distance. Are they just more lenient in college or are the rules different from HS? Also, why do R2s not use cards in college? I never understood that?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
1. Yes, the college rule is different. In college (and USAV), it's only illegal to hit the net if you are either in the act of playing the ball or the net contact interferes with play. Simply touching the net in and of itself is not necessarily illegal.

2. R2's do not administer cards in NCAA/USAV. They only request them. Therefore, they do not carry them. The R1 administers all cards.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 07:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
In college (and USAV), it's only illegal to hit the net if you are either in the act of playing the ball or the net contact interferes with play.
This includes the follow-through from an attack hit, correct? Does it also include an attempted block, even if no contact is made with the ball?
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
1. Yes, the college rule is different. In college (and USAV), it's only illegal to hit the net if you are either in the act of playing the ball or the net contact interferes with play. Simply touching the net in and of itself is not necessarily illegal.
2. R2's do not administer cards in NCAA/USAV. They only request them. Therefore, they do not carry them. The R1 administers all cards.

1. I am referring to a follow through on a hit where the net actually moves downward 6 -12" .
2. As for cards, I meant LU cards.

Asst coach and I just don't get the net calls... and she was a tremendous athlete (VB & BB) here and is now the PE and Strength Training Instructor.

Last edited by refnrev; Tue Sep 16, 2008 at 08:51am.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This includes the follow-through from an attack hit, correct? Does it also include an attempted block, even if no contact is made with the ball?
Yes to both.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
[/COLOR]

1. I am referring to a follow through on a hit where the net actually moves downward 6 -12" .
2. As for cards, I meant LU cards.

Asst caoch and I just don't get the net calls... and she was a tremendous athlete (VB & BB) here and is now the PE and Strength Training Instructor.
1. Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the ball or the player that hit the net. I didn't see what you see, so I won't comment on whether it was the ball or the player. In theory, yes, a follow through on a hit would count as playing the ball.

A. We check the rotation based on the actual lineup document submitted. No chance of us writing anything down wrong if we're not WRITING anything down.

B. There's no lineup information we can't quickly get from the scorekeeper right behind the R2, and there's no need to delay resumption of the game while the R2 wastes time writing down the exact same sub info the scorekeeper just wrote down.

It also gets our R2's to recognize alignment formations rather than looking down for numbers.