The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:37am
Lighten up, Francis.

Finding the setter

In my training classes, we were told to find the setter. Why is this important? I see it when somebody sets, but why is it important to "find" the setter?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
A. To know if the setter is front or back row
B. To be able to recognize alignments without the use of a card/wheel/etc.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 09:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
A. To know if the setter is front or back row
This is so that if the setter sets the ball and it goes over the net, we can recognize a back row attack?

Quote:
How does finding the setter help you do that?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I have pretty much the exact same questions. "Find the setter" sounds like one of those veteran catch-phrases that actually implies quite a bit of stuff. Perhaps somebody would be kind and patient enough to kind of connect the dots for us newbies?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
This is so that if the setter sets the ball and it goes over the net, we can recognize a back row attack?
But only if the ball is entirely above the height of the net, I believe?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
If the setter (assuming back row, in front of attack line) completes an attack when at the moment of attack contact, the ball was entirely above the net, then it would be illegal, so knowing where the setter is would be useful.

Same concept for illegal blocks on the setter, which can occur more often than illegal attacks.

Quote:

How does finding the setter help you do that?
Most (I'd say 90% of) teams use a rotational order of "Right, Left, Middle," with the setter being considered a "right." If you find the setter, then the next player would be your left side, and the one after that, the middle.

Assuming you can identify which player is playing which position, you learn to track not by player number, but actual player. Starting with the setter can help you figure out where everyone is.

Last edited by FMadera; Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 11:06am.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
But only if the ball is entirely above the height of the net, I believe?
Correct.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Locate the setter does several things for you.

In serve receive, the setter never takes a pass, so locating the setter will tell you tell you whether or not you have to watch for them to be back-row attackers or back-row blockers. If anyone is going to chase an errant pass, it's likely to be the setter. If your pre-beckon routine includes finding the setter, you'll always know, "she needs to be down"/"she can be up".

If you know the setter (and the opposite), it makes it possible to for you to make sense of the serve receive alignment. It's hard to explain in the context of a message board, but if you know the setter/opposite and place them on the floor, if the setter is back row, then you can identify the two players who go with them, because they are either the players on either side of the setter or the two players between the setter and opposite (either direction, depending on whether the setter is rightl/left back).

Clear as mud I'm sure, but that's what it is supposed to assist with.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I have pretty much the exact same questions. "Find the setter" sounds like one of those veteran catch-phrases that actually implies quite a bit of stuff. Perhaps somebody would be kind and patient enough to kind of connect the dots for us newbies?
Wow...this could be a long post......

The game of VB revolves around the setter. The basic strategy is that the ball comes over the net, the ball is passed to the setter, the setter sets one of the attackers who slams the ball down in the opponents court. Doesn't always work that way, especially at the lower levels, but that is the basic idea.

In my experience, which is HS ball only, most teams will use an offense that has either one or two setters. If it a one setter offense, that player will set from whatever position she is in in the rotation, front row or back row. You, as the official, have to know whether that player is front row, meaning s/he can legally attack the ball above the height of the net and block, or back row, meaning that s/he cannot block or attack the ball that is completely above the height of the net while she is on or in front of the attack line.

If a team uses an offense that has two setters, it is most likely that the player who is doing the setting will be in the back row. This allows the team to have three attackers in the front row the entire game - more options to run the offense. In this case, you just need to keep track of which player is setting in each rotation and when the "new" setter rotates to the back row. Some teams will use their subs for some of these rotations to bring in a player to set when that position is in the back row and another player to attack when the position is in the front row.

In my experience, the setter is the player that will most likely be involved in an overlap situation. In most offenses, the setter wants to be in approx the same position to run the offense on each play, but since s/he starts from a different position in the alignment each time, s/he has to move to get to the position she wants. Some setters will start moving prior to the ball being contacted for serve, and overlap one of the players adjacent to him/her. Other times, the setter will line up where s/he wants to start and the other players will adjust to receive the serve and overlap the setter.

Are you starting to see how important it is to identify the setters and know where they are in the rotation?

One thing that works for me - as the teams are going through their pre-game warmups, I will look to see which player(s) are setting in the hitting lines. Once I have those players noted, I will look at the lineups to find their "opposite" player, or the player that is three positions away in the rotation. If my setter is serving, her opposite should be in the left front position. Those two players or positions should keep that opposite relationship throughout the entire game. If I look at the players positions on the court and the setter and her opposite player are not opposite, I know that I have a problem and a possible illegal alignment.

I know this sounds like a lot and it is...it takes time and focus to understand and see these things in a game, but it will come if you put the effort into it.

For any of you other more experienced officials out there, feel free to add anything or correct anything that I may have gotten wrong......
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:49am
Lighten up, Francis.

Thank you for all the answers. I've read them all. I don't really understand them all yet, but I'll re-read them several times.

Quote:
Most (I'd say 90% of) teams use a rotational order of "Right, Left, Middle," with the setter being considered a "right." If you find the setter, then the next player would be your left side, and the one after that, the middle.
This one, however, is Greek to me. Please remember that I never played. So I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here. Isn't the rotational order the same for every team?
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Scrappy!

Lots of good information in the responses so far. I know it's a lot to digest, so treat it like eating an elephant - if you do it a fork full at a time, eventually you'll get through it, but try to swallow the whole leg & you're gonna choke.

As others have said a big portion of the game revolves around the setter, so knowing who & where she is can be a big help to you. As Andy said, watching the teams during timed warmups can really help you identify who the setters are. Once you've got that down, the next step is figuring out where the other players are in the rotation relative to the setter. There are a number of approaches to this - I'd suggest you ask a few experienced officials what methods work for them, then try a couple to see what works best for you & go from there.

The main thing is not to get discouraged, it's going to take some time before this all makes sense, and it will probably be at least several seasons before you start to feel comfortable with it. Remember, a fork full at a time..........
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please remember that I never played. So I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here. Isn't the rotational order the same for every team?
Some teams go left-right-middle, instead of the traditional right-left-middle.

(Referring to positions the players play, not positions on the court)
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

My .02 as a young official

I have not done a ton of VB like the most of the big dogs on the board, so let me try to help out here some.

1. If you are using a wheel or card, always circle the setter once you find out who it is by watching warm ups, or even after a rotation or two. Your veteran partner will help if you ask them! Then as you see more games, you will see how much the game revolves around the setter, even in JH/MS. Or even ask the scorekeeper who the setters are, they might tell you!

2. Get a good pen. Write on the top of your palm your captains (for each team), On the underside of your palm, note the numbers of the setters! Then refer to them during the game! You can take a look at your numbers as you are getting ready to call for serve when you need it. But make sure you try to find the setter on both sides. The more you do it, the easier it gets!

3. The light started coming on for me about half way through my 2nd year about where setters are, where they move, etc. It's just like other sports, do every match you can, and watch other people work with a card or wheel in your hand until you start to see patterns.

4. Get a book on VB coaching, and team offense, or sit down with a local coach. There you will get a good introduction as to the type of offenses people run, and you will pick it up.

5. Setters reveal themselves quickly in a match. Find one, then look at the opposite player. If the setter is the RB, look to the LF. There you find the other setter if there are two of them, and rotations will get easier once you find the opposite of the setter!

6. In a lot of HS offense, at least in my area, you will see two players stacked , either on a wing, or in the middle. There are several reasons for this, the main two being clearing space on the floor for the two or three people who the team wants to receive serve, or to give the setter an easy path to the middle. As you go on, you will find that the setter is usually stacked in one of those places.

7. Like so many others have said, once you find the setter you will find where most of your trouble with back row attacks and IA's are. Keep track of these players, and life is good for you and you partner.

Just keep working at it, and digest the hints above, and you will start to see why it is so important to find the setter!
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 03:38pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Some teams go left-right-middle
Again, I'm sorry to be dense, but I simply have no idea what this means, to "go left-right-middle".

And again, thanks for all the genuinely helpful replies.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Scrapper,

Think of 1,2,3, as RF, CF, LF.

The setter will usually go to the RF position (1) or CF position (2), depending on the situation and rotation. Then she sets to a position 1, 2, or 3. Sometimes with a call, other times w/o a call, which allows the person in that slot to know the ball is set for her. Sometimes, if the setter is coming from the back she cal set for all three positions.

This is why at times you will see RF and LF positions swich as soon as the serve is hit, to get the setter or big time hitter into their best positions. That is why you will see them hold hands behind the CF (or in other positions), so they leave as soon they both know the ball has been served.

On lower levels I will hear setters say "set 1", meaning she is setting her person in the #1 slot, usually RF. This of course can change at times, but that is the general idea.

I hope it helps!