The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

I am currently in the process of designing a website to help referees and schools find each other easier. The way it will work is the ref will register for a small fee $5. They then will be added to a database of refs. A school will then be able to get on the website and find a ref from the database. I plan on sending out bulk mailiings to schools to promote the website and try to get involved with referee's associations. I was just wondering what some of you referees think of the idea and whether or not you'd use it? Any suggestions as to what you would do to make it better let me know.

The preliminary name is http://www.refsforhire.com
The domain has been bought and I'm starting the design right now.

Thanks for your help.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 05:37pm
In Memoriam

You're wasting your time. Doesn't work the way that you are envisioning it in most areas.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt that any assignor will give up his assigning fees and endorse or pass this info along to his officials.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

A great idea ...go for it.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

In my area we go by a similar system online at http://www.reftek.net. Officials sign up for an account and the assignor(s) assign their games via the web. There are mixed reviews by officials on how well it works.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

In most states, officials are assigned by booking agents sanctioned by the state association. Schools/conferences have to use specific booking agents. These schools are not going to want ot or be permitted to use your service.

In other states, schools contract directly with officials. But they usually use the same officials over and over again. They probably aren't going to be interested in your site either.

Occasionally, we see someone post on this or other sites, looking for officials. But unless you're fortunate enough to just happen to have between a dozen and several dozen officials registered in that area, it won't fly.

Bottom line, what you're trying to do is going to be almost impossible to pull off. I wouldn't sink a lot of money into it, if I were you.

Sorry but you asked.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 10:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Never would work in my area.

We have assignors that do the job of finding and hiring officials. That is what the camps are for. Assignors are not hiring people at the varsity level unless they have seen you work. They might at the lower level, but if they have seen you it is much easier to get a game.

Like Tony said, in the area where I began officiating, the schools hired the officials on their own. Most of the time it would be the AD. They did not hire you unless they saw you or you worked one of their games on the road. They might ask you to work a tournament or some kind of shootout. But despite what many think, they did not just hire anyone. You have to be good or at least considered pretty good to get the bigger games.

It might help at first to make a couple of contacts, but not enough that would be worth anyone paying money to join. That is what official's associations are for.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:20am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
You're wasting your time. Doesn't work the way that you are envisioning it in most areas.

Actually, it just might work, depending upon the region of the country you live in.

Check out http://www.SportsOfficialsOnline.com. It is working in northwest and central west Ohio.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jun 26, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Officials needed

The assignment secreataries can already provide
a roster to the schools to be used in emergency
only (or to alter times or last minute cancellations).

I manage a year round basketball officials service in San Diego (mostly adult & youth rec).

I am always in need of new recruits or transfers.

Maybe you could start a recruitment service
and satisfy those looking for work and those needing workers.

Barry Alman
BOSS Officials
[email protected]